Options

electrical converter

I am confused about what to bring. Some people have said you need an electrical converter and an adapter plug set and others have said you only need the adapter plug set. Which is it? Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    If your device (computer, camera charger, phone charger, etc.) is a dual voltage device capable of 110-240v/50-60Hz, you will only need a plug adapter. If you are using a device that is 110v only, you will need a converter as electricity in Tanzania is 230v 50Hz and Kenya is 240v 50Hz. A good source for information on electrical requirements and what type of adapters are needed in each country can be found at http://www.voltagevalet.com/elec_guide.html
  • Options
    This is intended for one of the Tauck experts since I am still confused about the electrical converter. I know I don't need it for my camera charger or curling iron because they are both dual voltage and I have the proper adapter, however, I am not bringing my hair dryer, which is not dual voltage, because I understand they are provided at our accomodations. Are the hair dryers at our accomadations dual voltage or do I need an electrical converter in order to use them???
    I'm so afraid of getting there and not having what I need. I would appreciate some clarity on this. Thank's !!!
  • Options
    This is intended for one of the Tauck experts since I am still confused about the electrical converter. I know I don't need it for my camera charger or curling iron because they are both dual voltage and I have the proper adapter, however, I am not bringing my hair dryer, which is not dual voltage, because I understand they are provided at our accomodations. Are the hair dryers at our accomadations dual voltage or do I need an electrical converter in order to use them???
    I'm so afraid of getting there and not having what I need. I would appreciate some clarity on this. Thank's !!!

Hello blackmagic79,

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are wondering if you need to bring an electrical converter with you in order to use the blow dryers at the accommodations?

You do not need an electrical converter or plug adapters to use the the blow dryers at the hotels on tour. These blow dryers are equip to handle the voltage. As Rabo mentioned, if you have a device that is dual voltage you will only need a plug adapter. If for example, you wanted to bring your own blow dryer that is not dual voltage you will need to bring an electrical converter with you as well as an plug adapter.

Hope this helps.
    Emily
  • Options
    Emily - That totally answers my question. Thank you!!
  • Options
    Hello blackmagic,

Glad I could help.

Thanks,
    Emily
  • Options
    Do we need different convertor plugs for Kenya and Tanzania? Where is the best place to get them quickly (we leave in 1 week) ....Amazon?
    Knowing how great Tauck is about such things, I would be surprised if the hotels we stayed at did not provide them....if not, how many do you think one needs?
  • Options
    I have seen adaptor plugs (not converter) in the travel aisles of most department stores- most recently at Walmart. Of course places like REI or other travel/adventure stores have them, too. The kind that has all the different plugs in one unit seemed to make the most sense to me. I have been told that you need the Great Britain and India type plug but others may know more about that than I do ( I googled it, too). One is probably enough-no more than 2, depending on the number of items you are using/charging at the same time. I think you can use a multi plug surge protector with it which would mean you would be able to plug in multiple things to one wall socket. Others who have more experience, please correct me if I am wrong. My husband is in Arusha now so if he has any info to add, I'll let you know that, too.
This discussion has been closed.