Options

Tanzania & Kenya Classic Safari - Just returned- Suggestions

Hi,

We just returned from this awesome adventure on 7/21/2012. I thought I would pass along some thoughts:

* It was extremely dusty as it is their dry season and the roads ( I use that term lightly) are unbelievable.
* Visine Eye Drops and Lotions are recommended
* Inflatable cushion was very helpful for my husband who has back issues - can't describe how rough the roads are
* Hat that ties under your chin - it can be very windy in the vehichles
* Tissues, tissues, tissues, hand santitizers - the restrooms in the parks were the worse part of the trip. I was never a good Girl Scout.
* Didn't get any bug bites at all.
* In the lodge room, I covered the sink's spigot with a washcloth so I wouldn't accidentally use tap water to brush my teeth.
* Layering is very important - cool morning and then it warms up and then it cools down.
* People that had only a point and shoot camera were frequently frustrated with their game drive pictures. I am not a photographer junkie but I bought a point and shoot Nikon super zoom 36X and got awesome pictures.
* Dust cleaner for cameras.
* Video camera - lots of native dancing and or ceremonies that you would want to capture on video.
* The Bilila and Mt. Kenya Safari Lodges are beautiful - I would have been more comfortable if I had a nicer non-safari outfit to wear for dinner - nothing dressy
* Shopping - there isn't a whole lot but - the lodge gift shops are limited. Check all of the lodge gift shops to compare prices. You will see many of the same items again and again and the prices really fluctuate. The best prices and selections were at the Amboseli Lodge and the Nairobi Serena Hotel. There is one short stop at a large shop - lots of choices there and prices were reasonable-beautiful bowls and carved animals. The one little regional airport - I think it was the one that we flew to Mt. Kenya - had a really nice gift shop - beautiful hand painted tablecloths, gorgeous handbags, belts etc. The border crossing at Tanzania/Kenya provides a very interesting shopping experience - it is not for the feint of heart but the negotiated prices were really good. There are very pretty things at the Spinners & Weavers stop - not inexpensive but nice.

It is an incredible experience - our tour director Debra was fabulous and every single guide was extremely knowledgable.

If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to post a question about this adventure.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the information. Did all places you shopped at take US Dollars or did you use credit cards? I do not want to convert any cash if I don't need to. Also how did you pay for meals which were not included prior to the tour starting?
    Drinks and laundry? Tips? Thanks for any help you can provide. I want to make sure I take enough cash to cover everything.
  • Options
    Hi,

We just returned from this awesome adventure on 7/21/2012. I thought I would pass along some thoughts:

* It was extremely dusty as it is their dry season and the roads ( I use that term lightly) are unbelievable.
    * Inflatable cushion was very helpful for my husband who has back issues - can't describe how rough the roads are
    * Tissues, tissues, tissues, hand santitizers - the restrooms in the parks were the worse part of the trip. I was never a good Girl Scout.
    * In the lodge room, I covered the sink's spigot with a washcloth so I wouldn't accidentally use tap water to brush my teeth.
    * Layering is very important - cool morning and then it warms up and then it cools down.
    * People that had only a point and shoot camera were frequently frustrated with their game drive pictures. I am not a photographer junkie but I bought a point and shoot Nikon super zoom 36X and got awesome pictures.
    * Video camera - lots of native dancing and or ceremonies that you would want to capture on video.
    * The Bilila and Mt. Kenya Safari Lodges are beautiful - I would have been more comfortable if I had a nicer non-safari outfit to wear for dinner - nothing dressy
    * Shopping - there isn't a whole lot but - the lodge gift shops are limited. Check all of the lodge gift shops to compare prices. You will see many of the same items again and again and the prices really fluctuate. The best prices and selections were at the Amboseli Lodge and the Nairobi Serena Hotel. There is one short stop at a large shop - lots of choices there and prices were reasonable-beautiful bowls and carved animals. The one little regional airport - I think it was the one that we flew to Mt. Kenya - had a really nice gift shop - beautiful hand painted tablecloths, gorgeous handbags, belts etc. The border crossing at Tanzania/Kenya provides a very interesting shopping experience - it is not for the feint of heart but the negotiated prices were really good. There are very pretty things at the Spinners & Weavers stop - not inexpensive but nice.

It is an incredible experience - our tour director Debra was fabulous and every single guide was extremely knowledgable.

If I can be of any help, don't hesitate to post a question about this adventure.
  • Options
    My wife and I are going on the August 4 trip. How was the hot air balloon ride and did you see much of the migration? I've wondered if it was a little early for the migrations. Thanks for the helpful insights
  • Options
    Hi Pride,

We do not like to use credit cards unless absolutely necessary. We always convert US dollars before we leave. We only converted $100 US into Kenyan shillings. It was impossible to get Tanzanian shillings before leaving. Everywhere takes US dollars and I mean everywhere - even the people selling trinkets through the windows! Laundry was charged to the room and then we paid in US dollars when we checked out. Drinks we paid in US dollars - but you can also charge to the room and then pay at check-out. Laundry was reasonable and nicely done. Except for beer, drinks were not inexpensive.

Fortunately we did take some euros as we were connecting through Amsterdam "just in case" money...didn't need it in Amsterdam but Nairobi return flight was cancelled and turned into a real mess which resulted in spending another night in Nairobi and another night in Paris. If it isn't too late, based on our horrific experience, I would avoid flying Kenyan Airlines out of Nairobi if at all possible. It was a nightmare of epic proportions!

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hi Birdy,

Unfortunately it was way too windy for the balloon ride - they tried to inflate but the gusts kept pushing it down. So we got up at 4:00 AM for nothing - disappointing for sure. It was also very cold! When we were in the Serengeti, the guide thought we were seeing a segment of the migration because of the enormous amount of zebras and wildebeasts. At the Ngorongoro Serena Lodge gift shop, there is an excellent fold-out map of the migration by month - of course it is all subject to change.
  • Options
    Hi,

• Options
    Hi Birdy Man...We were fortunate during our Tanzania / Kenya trip (January 20 - February 2, 2012). We had perfect flying weather. There are simply no words to describe what an exhilerating experience the balloon ride was. Dawn over the Maasai Mara was amazing. I have no idea how many miles we covered in 90 minutes but our game drive back to the hotel took most of the day.

If you wish to read about our experience and see our pictures you can go to the web address below. I added another 100 pictures to the blog last weekend. There are about 335 photos with the blog now....Leo M.

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/leomcyr/1/1326885220/pod.html

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I am taking this trip on August 11. I too have lower back problems. What kind of cushion did you take and do you have any other suggestions for me. Thanks in advance. hhleslie
  • Options
    hhleslie,
    I, too, will be on the August 11 trip and I also have back issues. I'm bringing an inflatable cushion, as it is easier to pack.
    blackmagic79
  • Options
  • Options
    blackmagic79

I ordered an inflatable seat from Magellan. After I opened, inflated and sat on it, I didn't like it. I ordered another one from Travel Smith which is smaller and thinner. Don't really like it much either, but better than the first. What did you purchase? Birdyman hasnt't responded...I hope he does before too long. Where are you coming from? I'm in Hilton Head, SC
  • Options
    loves2travel2

I read on you blog that it was cooler than you thought. How cool was it in the AM & PM and during the day? What did your husband use for a seat cushion?
  • Options
    hhleslie,
    I did send you a blog yesterday about the inflatable cushion - 2nd one down. I also included my e-mail address.
  • Options
    hhleslie wrote:
    blackmagic79

I ordered an inflatable seat from Magellan. After I opened, inflated and sat on it, I didn't like it. I ordered another one from Travel Smith which is smaller and thinner. Don't really like it much either, but better than the first. What did you purchase? Birdyman hasnt't responded...I hope he does before too long. Where are you coming from? I'm in Hilton Head, SC

Hello. While reading the travel forum I noticed that you were from HHI. So am I. My husband and I are taking this same safari in Feb. 2013. I would love to talk with you. My email is northstardev@hotmail.com. Thanks, Margie
  • Options
    Is there anyone from North Carolina going on the September 19th Tanzania/Kenya Safari. I am looking forward to the trip. All of the questions and answers have been a great help. My question is clothing color or does it matter. Someone mentioned earth tones. Keep up the questions and ANSWERS. It helps greatly. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Pharmacist,
    Most people did wear earth/neutral colored clothing but I think it's a "safari fashion statement" more than anything else. However, dark blue should be avoided because tsetse flies are attracted to that color.
  • Options
    My son and I are going on the 19th. Very Excited.
    We live in Northern Virgina.

This discussion has been closed.