Options

Visit with school children

I am going on Classic Kenya/Tanzania safari. On what day do we visit the school children? Will we be able to give the items we brought for the children to the Tauck guide so we won't have to pack them in our duffels for the day 4/5 part of the trip?

Comments

• Options
    I think the tour directors visit different orphanages. We were on this trip in July and we didn't visit the orphanage until Day 10 when we were at the Mt. Kenya Club. In our case, the donations remained in our suitcases. . I read on someone's post they visited an orphanage in the first few days. Prior to visiting the orphanage, we did stop at a grocery/misc. type of store, so things could also be purchased. I do not know if that is standard procedure.
  • Options
    Thank you for your response. As long as we can keep stuff in our suitcase, it will be easy to mange.
  • Options
    What would you recommend bringing for the kids? I was thinking of paperback books (Magic Tree House series), but my travel agent suggested just sticking to school supplies. I suppose that means pens and pencils. Perhaps even small spiral notebooks? Thoughts?
  • Options
    CatLover8, we visited a school in Tanzania. We brought general school supplies. I wouldn't recommend bringing paperback books, as the children speak Swahili, not English. Someone else in our group brought a deflated soccer ball, and it was a big hit--we were able to inflate it and play a game with them. Of course they were much better than we were!
  • Options
    Good point on the books being in the wrong language. We have been helping out a school in Ghana and they teach English there so I just assumed (bad thing to do) that these schools would as well. Thank you for straightening me out on that one!
    Based on your advice, I bought some pens/colored pens/pencils and put them in a plastic storage box. I also got some rulers. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    Everything in the classroom was in English in the orphanage we visited. Only the youngest were actually schooled at the orphanage. The older students went to the "public school." Other ideas: chalk, math flashcards, bandaids, stickers.
  • Options
    Ooh, Math flash cards is a great idea!! I"ll see if I can find some chalk and stickers and band-aids. Thanks for all the great suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.