Options

Antarctica Jan 8, 2022

I am booked to go on the Jan 8 Antarctica trip, but am concerned because Argentina remains on the CDC "Avoid List" as of this time, despite a decline in both their infection and death rates and rising vaccinations. Remembering the crowds at the Ezeiza airport in Buenos Aires on my last visit there, I am considering the potential risks of 3 visits to that airport on this trip, standing in the various immigration, customs and security lines, despite my being vaccinated. Do any other travelers on that date have similar concerns, or further information or insights on this? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021

We are on the January 19 trip. We have recently done two back to back cruises on the “Star Breeze” in the Caribbean, and we did the ‘Treasures of the Med. Isles’ with Tauck on Ponant’s Le Bougainville. We have been to St. Maarten, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, Munich, Marseille, Nice, Elba, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, and Frankfurt. I have no concerns about the EZE airport. All of the airports we have been to were jammed with people. Several of the places we went to were ‘Level 4’. The people you come closest to will all be vaccinated. Go for it. The Antarctica trips were ‘available’ before Argentina announced their opening plans. They are now ‘sold out’.

• Options

Thanks Sealord for your reply. We have been to all the places you mentioned with Tauck, but well before COVID19. I am leaning toward going to Antarctica, but still thinking about the Level 4 risk. There are daily statistics on the status in Argentina, which appear to be improving. I will monitor those for a while longer.

• Options

We are on the same trip as you Jan 8, 2022 - and are planning on going

• Options

It is up to the individual tolerance for uncertainties!As long as you are mentally prepared for testing positive at any point in your journey and the consequences of quarantine etc iin a foreign country.We have also travelled recently but not to Antarctica.If you are fully vaccinated and boosted the likelihood of severe illness and hospitalization is low but not zero.After our recent trip to Ecuador which was also on do not travel list at the time of travel,we ar3 relieved to be back safely but have decided not to travel till things settle down.

• Options

I hear you Sudhamali, but we have the first tour that has not been canceled on us beginning on Monday. We leave home Sunday night to be at the airport as our flight…if not canceled, leaves at 6am We tried to get the type of insurance that covers you to be brought home door to door even if you test positive, the company will work with the government of the country to bypass all quarantine rules…trouble is, the country we are going to is one of only three countries that will not work with them. We are taking three weeks extra essentials medicines with us, three books each and some extra clothing. We were caught up out of the country when the pandemic hit. So we do have some experience of being stuck in a hotel room and it is not at all pleasant….but the difference is, there should be less uncertainties about our return than in March 2020 and with luck, full boosted vaccinated should protect us from severe illness.
    We avoided all travel out of the country this year, we knew the pandemic would not be over and probably will not be in our lifetime, so we will gamble this time. We are not traveling with Tauck, but Tauck do have a tour in that country right now, we’ve seen pics on Facebook of the group.

• Options

British You seem prepared in many ways.Particularly taking extra meds etc;Good luck and hope all goes well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file