Options

Cruise from Bucharest to Budapest

We are scheduled to go on the June 30 cruise from Bucharest to Budapest. Does anyone have any suggestions as to Bucharest (we will be there 1 day before) or Budapest? Or any of the choices on the ship? Or what to do on the ship?

Comments

• Options

There isn’t much to do on a River boat apart from sit and watch the world go by or if there is a small pool.
    So much to see in Budapest.

• Options

janekaren,

Bucharest has several beautiful parks where you can stroll for hours and enjoy a bite to eat after visiting one of the many food markets. This would be a relaxing thing to do before the start of your cruise.

Without knowing your interests, I am reluctant to offer suggestions for a post stay in Budapest. The Parliament Building is stunning, especially at night. There are so many choices, no matter which side of the Danube you explore.

I have not been on this particular cruise, but I agree with cathyandsteve that there are always activities you can choose to participate in or not. There could be cooking demonstrations (perhaps using Hungarian paprika) craft classes, brief lectures, nightly entertainment such as musical performances, dancing, talent shows featuring the crew members, on and on. Of course, it is always nice to sit on the top deck with a drink in hand, chat with new friends and watch the scenery.

Please be sure to post a review of your experiences.

• Options

We’ve been on four river cruises…as Cathy said, we stopped every day to see a town along the river…and there were activities, classes when we were sailing during an afternoon. We are spending an extra day in Budapest at the end of our Danube trip…it will be our 4th time to be in Budapest…love this city…or actually two cities (Budapest and Pest). We spent a day in Bucharest on a Black Sea cruise…I’d have to read my notes but I do know it was considered Little Paris before WWII…Romania’s history is sobering but the people are wonderful.

• Options

Janekaren: In 2016, I took the River Cruise "Budapest to the Black Sea" which ended in Bucharest. It was a wonderful tour. One of the things I do remember is that Budapest was a very walkable City with so much to see and do. I found Bucharest to not be as pedestrian friendly so you will need to take a cab to most places. From past experience with Tauck River Cruises, the Tour Director usually leaves a packet at the Hotel Check In with suggestions of Restaurants and sights to visit if you arrive early. Since our Tour ended in Bucharest, we didn't have extra time to explore. Our TD did give us a printed list with suggestions for restaurants and sites to visit if you had free time. I have listed the sites below from a handout I received on my trip. You can probably google these sites for additional information.

Cismigiu Gardens (located in the City Center and is the oldest public park in Bucharest. In the summertime, you can hire rowing boats or enjoy a snack at one of the outdoor cafes)

National History Museum (Museul National de Istorie)

Romanian Atheneum (This is the Country’s leading concert hall and you can check with the concierge at the Hotel for a current schedule)

National Arts Museum (Fine Arts Museum)

Museum of the Romanian Peasant (A look at Romanian life from the perspective of the Romanian Peasant)

The Romanian Village Museum (One of Europe's oldest open-air museums)

Budapest is a great City to just walk around and enjoy the sites. One of the sites I had researched before the trip was "The Shoes on the Danube Bank". This is a memorial created by sculptor Gyula Pauer to honor the Jews who were killed by Arrow Cross militiamen in Budapest during World War II. It was a pleasant walk from our Hotel, The Ritz Carlton.

With regards to the Riverboat, there are many things to do while cruising if you wish to participate. There are lectures, entertainment every night with local musicians or a pianist and typically some sort of demonstration going on that you can participate in. There are also on-demand movies in your room. The best part of River Cruises is sitting on the top deck and enjoying the view while sipping on your favorite libation. If the boat is docked in town, you always have an opportunity to explore on your own or forego a planned excursion. In Novi Sad, Serbia we took a stroll after dinner with our Tour Director. It was a lovely night, weather wise, and there were many locals out enjoying the night. We listened to street musicians and enjoyed some Gelato, which our TD purchased for us. I have been on three Tauck River Cruises and the one thing I love about them is that you can participate in all the activities or do nothing at all if you wish to. You unpack only once during the trip so there is not as much stress and early wake up calls that you would experience on a land Tour. This sort of Tour doesn’t appeal to everyone, it just depends on what type of vacation you want. Everyone is unique and there is no wrong choice. Enjoy your trip.

• Options

What a great review of this River Cruise, Travel Maven. We’d like to do this trip ourselves…

• Options

I will be on this river cruise May 20 leaving from SFO and arriving a day before in Bucharest and leaving two days after the tour ends in Budapest. I've been to Budapest in the past, and it is a spectacular city with alot to offer. In the past, my husband and I hired a private tour guide that met us where the riverboat was docked. We had an in-depth tour with our guide for the day with sites that Tauck was not offering. Others asked if they could join us. There are private tour guides on the internet, and I found one that fit our interests by e-mailing back and forth. The healing mineral baths in Budapest are extraordinary and Covid permitting that would be on my to-do list. Travel Maven mentioned "The Shoes on the Danube"; and I will absolutely walk along that path again. The Doheny Synogogue is also on my list to visit again. I might also indulge in a facial. Budapest is known for their wonderful skin care cosmetics. The Ritz Carlton has a wonderful spa too. These are some ideas that may perk your interest.

• Options

Hello OurTravels34. We are also on the May 20 cruise from Bucharest to Budapest and are leaving from SFO. We too have been to Budapest in the past but feel there is a lot more to see there and are extending our trip two extra days in Budapest. Going to the Palace on the Pest side of the river is one of the things on our agenda this time. Getting in a day early is something we always do wherever we travel. It helps getting over time differences, and lets us enjoy the Welcome dinner the first night.

• Options

hello our travels and napa resident
    curious as to what airlines you used and what stops before landing in bucharest
    we are looking do do this cruise next year and wondering which airlines service the area
    we would be leaving from newark new jersey airport (EWR)

• Options

bobbon5357, we are leaving on Swiss Airlines, business class. It was the best flight price-wise my travel agent of 15 years (or longer) could find for us. My newly engaged daughter and finance are also joining us but they haven't made their air reservation yet! These youngsters won't be flying business class. We are meeting another couple who live on the east coast that we met on our 2017 Switzerland trip and that we have since traveled with. Somehow they think we are fun! My husband and I look at each other and presume they are speaking about another couple. I have met lifelong friends from our Tauck travels and I always welcome meeting new friends too. I am still in contact with people that I've met on these trips dating back 20 years ago, and I am a young 68 year old.

• Options

ourtravels34,thanks for the reply we will look into swiss air from newark.my wife and i are newly retired (mid sixties)and can now enjoy traveling.we have a tauck trip this may best of hawaii booked.we figured after that a river cruise bucharest to budapest would be a nice trip.i always do my own research on vacations ,the trip itself ,hotels,airfare.try to find the best prices then turn it over to our travel agent to see if they can .put a deal together.again thanks for the quick reply and stay safe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file