Options

traveling with elderly

I am hoping that I can get some information about how much walking is involved in the classic safari.

My mother in law wants to go on safari for her 80th birthday in a couple of years. She can walk without assistance but does have some issues being at high altitudes.

I would appreciate any feedback from any of you who have traveled with Tauck on this safari to see how concerned I should be. Not even sure if it is a good idea for her if there is a lot of physical activity involved.

Thanks in advance. Shauna

Comments

• Options
    Shauna,

We went on the Classic Tanzania and Kenya safari last winter and it was the trip of a lifetime. There really isn't a great deal of walking, and the altitude didn't have a negative effect on anyone in our group.

That said, it is a very physically demanding trip. She will be in four wheel drive vehicles for 3-4 hours twice a day for the safari, plus, there are a few days when these vehicles are used to travel from one lodge site to another. There are NO paved roads, just dirt and gravel. Also, in order to see the most animals, the morning drive is usually very early.

That said, we had a single women on our safari, your mother-in-law's age, who had the time of her life.

Hope it works out for her.
    Glenn
  • Options
    Agree with rogfam...it depends on the person. We met a lady on our flight to Mt Kenya who was 99 years old. She was traveling with her two daughters. She was having a blast. Amazingly, we ran into her again four days later on another flight and she was even more energized. She told us one story after another about her adventures. What an amazing person.

If you decide to do the trip, be sure to make arrangements for a wheelchair at the airports. I suspect we did more walking in Atlanta and Amsterdam than anywhere else.

Leo M
  • Options

Leo, I was very glad to see your post.
    Please go to the post for traveler on the Feb 2 trip and give us the information on how to get to your blog about this trip. I read it and it was very informative. Now I would like to make a copy of it, especialy the list of things to bring.Thanks.

Hope your trip to Russia was great.
This discussion has been closed.