Options

Has anyone heard of a new Tauck itinerary to Eastern Canada/New England?

Tauck rep mentioned it when I phoned last week, but I can't find any tours that look new to me. She even quoted the title, but of course I can't remember. Not worth bothering staff, since I'm booked up for a while. Thanks.

Comments

• Options

Yes, the new small ship cruise is shown in Tauck's 2023 brochure. Thirteen days from NYC to Quebec City or opposite direction (ten cruise days). Pricing has not been released yet, nor is it shown yet on the website. I have been hoping for this for quite some time. I'm ready to book for 2024 as soon as dates are released!

• Options
    edited April 2022

Thanks so much, kfnknfzk...didn't realize it was a cruise! I canceled print catalogs a while back in an ill-fated attempt to combat paper clutter. My last time in Quebec City, in summer, it was overrun with tourists; I recommend shoulder season.

• Options

Nice places get tourists,

• Options
    edited April 2022

I failed to mention that the hotels have not been determined yet either. I'm hoping in Quebec City it will be the Fairmont Frontenac. We stayed there on the Canada's Capital Cities tour. Lovely and so nice to stroll along the boardwalk. It would be great if Tauck chose the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan (another Fairmont property), or at least offered it as an upgrade.

Fall, in my opinion, is the best time to travel to New England due to the fall foliage and cooler temperatures.

Here's the northern route..
    Day 1 NYC; Day 2 Embark Silver Shadow; Day 3 Newport; Day 4 & 5 Boston; Day 6 Bar Harbor; Day 7 Halifax;
    Day 8 at sea; Day 9 Charlottetown; Day 10 at sea; Day 11 Saguenay; Day 12 Disembark Quebec City; Day 13 Depart

• Options
    edited April 2022

Nice places are still nice off-season and less crowded, and I know, some have to travel in the summer. I didn't mention, the province of Quebec gets surprisingly humid; I tried both June and July, thinking as you go North, it would be cooler. Wrong! My last trip to QC I met a woman while walking uphill and we commiserated about the heat and humidity, vowing never to return in the summer. Granted I am not a summer person; 65° is my preferred max for travel. I've learned to add 10° to calculate my comfort level.

• Options

MarketArt - I, too run warm and I dislike humidity. Twenty years ago, we started traveling to Europe in early August, while my kids were at sleepaway camp. Paris, Rome, Athens, etc....there were some really bad heat waves in those years. I was fairly miserable. Lost luggage in Florence while my hair and clothes stuck to my body...ugh! And we kept running into people we knew in every city. I thought I was being chic, not packing too much in my carry-on. I learned the hard way all the what-ifs of travel. And not to make connections in Milan. And what wicking quick dry fabric is.

After several sweaty trips,I put my foot down. We went on a Baltic cruise. I was walking around St. Petersburg in a sleeveless top while the locals were in leather coats! Relief!

Regarding Quebec - my husband is a Montrealer by birth, so we're there fairly often visiting his family. It's either blizzarding or miserably hot. Go figure. 🙄

Shari

• Options
    edited April 2022

Yes, some of us like it not-hot, please. Often on tours a few of us are in shirtsleeves, while everyone else is in puffer jackets, something I reserve for true winter; my fleece scarf serves me well as a jacket in shoulder season. It must be my love of spicy foods and esp. ginger, good for circulation. I've mentioned here that I've been asking Tauck for years for more tours in cooler temps, but they always tell me their clients don't want that. And I've also written that my last pre-pandemic travel was in Jan/Feb to Aix/Cassis/Marseille. I had a wonderful time, and not only b/c of the timing. As for the subject at hand, I find Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto more interesting than QC, though I enjoyed Plein Art, QC's annual summer craft festival; I also recommend Canada Day in Ottawa.

• Options

If you are considering Ottawa, look up the Tulip Festival. During WWII Canada took in the Dutch royal family. After the war they gave Ottawa a large number of tulips. Since then the city continues to plant tulips throughout the city particularly along the Rideau Canal. The tulips usually bloom in early May (or maybe late April if the weather is warmer). It's beautiful!