Another "dress for dinner" question...

Sorry I know this is a repetitive topic but my search turned up old results. My husband and I are trying to pack with carry-on only for our August trip on Ms Grace. He suggested a shirt and tie for the "dressier" dinners rather than a jacket. I am fine with what he is comfortable with but he isn't sure what the protocol is.

Dress codes always open a huge can of worms with lots of strong opinions. I just want to help him out with his decision and make sure he doesn't feel out of place with his choice. Unless I missed it, I don't see anything in the Tauck info in regards to dress. Just a mention of two welcome dinners - one in Munich and one on the ship and a farewell dinner. Thank you.

Comments

• These days dining on the ships is relatively casual and what your husband plans is fine for any of the dinners onboard. In fact he could skip the tie. Mine wears collared polo shirts most nights then a long sleeve dress shirts for the welcome, farewell, etc. Every cruise we've been on had one dinner off the ship. The dinner for your cruise specifically says it's casual family style so not a dressy occasion.

There are packing suggestions for all tours. If you look at the webpage for the tour, scroll down past the dates/prices you'll find Important Information For Your Journey. There's three groups of info. Scroll right and the second panel includes Packing info. For your tour it states that a jacket and the are optional.

Enjoy.

• He does not need the tie. Just a dress shirt. We just did this trip in June and dress at dinner, even on "glitter" night was very casual. There were several multi generational families on our trip with travelers in their 20's. They almost always wore shorts or jeans to dinner with t-shirts - male and female. My husband usually felt over dressed with his dress shirt or polo shirt, although the other two men in our group wore the same as he did. I am not one who cares with people wear - except ball caps - I hate those! I just cannot over emphasis how casual the dress was on this river cruise.

• Sugarcreek, I’m with you on the ball caps especially those I. d. I. o. t. s. who wear them backwards !

• Ok thanks for the advice. He has nice slacks and dress shirts and wouldn't wear a ball cap, let alone backwards, for any occasion lol!

• edited July 2022

In another thread KHChgo posted that her husband wears a sport coat on the plane and a flight attendant hangs it for him during the flight. An option to consider.

• Sealord, concur that there is a certain amount of the "what can I get away with" but also a fair amount of "what do I want to give up packing space for". I get better with every trip trying to strike a balance of enough clothing appropriate to the activities, venues and weather, but still make mistakes. I also try hard not to bring things that only get worn once if they're going to take an appreciable amount of weight or space in my suitcase.

I've said this a few times, but I don't understand Taucks recommendation to bring clothes made of cotton. It's one of the heaviest fabrics and one that cannot be laundered on tour without sending it out at fairly high expense - at least in their European hotels and ships. So many other more travel friendly fabrics to choose from.

• Regarding cotton, it is the most breathable fabric and, as such, is probably why it is recommended by Tauck. It is also comfortable, durable and some cottons are wrinkle resistant.

• Ourtravels, your examples are certainly the extreme. I can't imagine wearing any of that in any circumstances except maybe Tshirts with writing though even that I don't bother with on tour. I much prefer day wear that's comfortable for touring but nice enough for most dinners.

I don't think not wanting to wear a sport coat is quite in the same category. I lived and worked in the DC area where business wear was very common but now in the SW where you seldom see a suit outside of a wedding. If your work doesn't require suits, sport coats or you actually wear a uniform, then you might not even own a sport coat (or at least one that fits).

You used the houses of worship example and it reminded me of a conversation I had with a woman bemoaning that people out here didn't dress up for church. My response was that I would hate to think someone didn't come to church just because they didn't feel they had nice enough clothing for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file