Options

helpful hints appreciated

we are taking this trip in August. we are exited and, i must admit, a bit apprehensive. We'd love to hear from people who have taken this trip about their experiences. All the old postings have been deleted so I'm hoping to get this forum going again.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    estarae wrote:
    we are taking this trip in August. we are exited and, i must admit, a bit apprehensive. We'd love to hear from people who have taken this trip about their experiences. All the old postings have been deleted so I'm hoping to get this forum going again.

We've posted a link to the old forum (Ask & Share) that will be up and running through April 30th. You can find it here: http://www.tauck.com/AskAndShare.aspx

• Options
    Hi.

Although I have not traveled with Tauck before, I have been on safari in Kenya and stayed at the Amboseli Serena Lodge. In fact, one of the reasons for choosing this tour (we are on the September 18 tour) is that we failed to take photos of the inside of our room at Amboseli which was hand-painted with the local animals--I specifically remember an oxpecker on the back of a rhino. Tauck had the best itinerary and price for what you get, in my estimation.

Be prepared for wonderful scenery and some horrible roads. The track from Arusha to Amboseli is the road against which we compare all bad roads in the world. It is still ahead, inching out those in western China and Grenada. The clothing guide suggests tans, greens and browns. I would add rust as a color to match the dirt you will pick up on the trek through Amboseli. When we arrived at the Serena Lodge we were met with staff with damp washcloths in white for our faces and hands. They were routinely orange-red when returned to the staff, so you can imagine what your clothes are like.

We were lucky enough to see Kilimanjaro clearly that evening and the next morning from Amboseli. I hope you will have the same good fortune as it was magnificent.

There is just no comparison between seeing animals in a nature show on TV (or even up close at the zoo) and seeing them in their natural environment. Our last safari was also our last trip with a film camera. Our friends had a digital camera with a zoom lens that captured the feather details on birds where all we got was birds in a tree. So I highly recommend a telephoto zoom lens that has built-in vibration reduction. Our friend was even taking clear pictures in a moving vehicle on Kenyan roads. Although we use Nikon equipment, other brands have this option on their lenses. And, obviously, you will want to bring adequate means for cleaning your lenses and other equipment.
  • Options
    Here are a few questions answered by Glenn Rogers, who had taken this trip last spring. Hope this answers some of your questions:

We visited a Masai school (very emotional for everyone on the trip), a Masai village, and a weaving/spinning "factory". We arrived in Arusha a day early and hired a guide to show us the city...really not much to see. Never left the van, didn't feel comfortable.

You really don't spend much money, everything is included except for the tip to the tour director. We brought $2500 and most we took home. Bring plenty of small bills. The hotels all take credit cards, as do their gift shops. Never converted any money. Nowhere else to spend money except Masai village and weavers and Cultural center in Arusha (big indoor market full of souvenirs). Prices varied from$1 to $100's depending on what you get. Most were in the $5-20 range. We paid cash at the weavers, don't remember if they took CC. Think everyone took home what they bought. The gifts we bought home were jewelry for the women and safari hats/ t shirts for the men. Always bargain!!!!!!!

Plenty of time to photograph the animals. Never too much time was spent; it was amazing. Balloon ride was appox. 1 hour....one of the highlights of the trip. However, prepare for a 4AM wakeup that morning!!!!

Very casual at the resorts. We went in Feb. (their summer), so it was hot (90) during the day. Many people wore their safari clothes for dinner. My wife and I usually changed in casual clothes for dinner. NOT dressy at all. All lodges have hair dryers so don't bring one. Bugs really weren't a problem because of the high altitude. What type of malaria pill are you taking. We took Malarone (once a day) and suggest you take it with dinner instead of the morning. One possible side effect is stomach problems and you don't want to be on a AM safari ride!!

Safari and baseball caps(depending on what team) are standard wear for the trip.

Scarves for the dust, NO jewelry at all. Only a few places had in room safes, all had safe deposit boxes at the front desk. (no problem at all)

Foods were very good. Normal variety as you would expect from top lodges. Lots of buffets with plenty to eat. We were told my our travel Dr. not to have any raw vegetables or fruits. Sure you will have plenty to eat. Wines were excellent, mainly from South Africa. Main beer was Kilimanjaro and Seregenti....you won't go thirsty.

Plenty of time to walk.

Are you bringing a phone. Had better service there than in NY with AT&T. Used Skype and all my calls to US were 2.2 cents a minute. Wifi and computers in all hotels, many are offered free.

• Options
    One more letter from Glenn:

The only Cultural Center I did was in Arusha. We went as part of the city tour, and since it was a Sunday, it was very quiet there. As part of our tour with Tauck, there was a option to visit it again the day we flew back to Arusha from the Serengeti, but didn't do it. Not sure if our tour director arranged that or it was part of our tour. Some people hired a driver pre tour and went to the park and had a great time.

Wedding bands, earrings were worn, as were watches (leave your Rolex home however!!) Remember for part of the trip you use the Tauck duffle bag you will receive. You will pack for two days twice during the tour while you suitcases are trucked ahead (no room on the small aircraft for them). Casual and dressing in layers is the word. Don't bring too much. Used laundry services in two hotels; well priced and very convenient. Also a good pair of walking shoes; don't bother with boots or sneakers.

People used regular scarves/bandannas to cover their mouths from all the dust. Just wonder if it will be so bad the time of the year your are going.

We only spent the day in Nairobi. You fly in from the Masai Mara and get transferred to the Serena Hotel which is simply beautiful (pool, ac, great lunch and dinner) and leave in the evening for the airport. We were STRONGLY advised not to leave the hotel even though it was in a good area....no one on our tour left. We used the room safe.

Still going through all my pictures; bring an extra memory card and plenty of batteries.

Are you going right home after Nairobi? We spent a night in Amsterdam which was fun.
  • Options
    See that you have found my posts from last winter. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to email at rogfam@optonline.net
    Glenn
This discussion has been closed.