Options

Drought impact

I’ve read that the horn of Africa has had 4 failed rain years in a row which has affected Kenya among other countries. Does anyone have recent experience on the KT safari that would care to share what impact they saw?

Comments

• Options

Hi, my family and I recently returned from the August 20 departure of the Kenya and Tanzania trip. None of our guides mentioned anything regarding a lack of rain in Tanzania. The have been doing their normal prescribed burns in the Serengeti which would suggest they are in pretty good shape.
    The lack of rain was very apparent in Amboseli. It was heartbreaking. There were dead zebra and wildebeest, young and old, that hadn't starved to death, they had tried to eat grass they couldn't digest because there was none of their normal food. They had had rains in both the Mt. Kenya area and the Maasai Mara while we were in Amboseli and the grasses were already coming back. You could tell all of the guides were very relived. As sad as Amboseli was, it didn't detract from the trip so much as add perspective. It was a phenomenal trip.

• Options

Thanks! That’s helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file