Options

Savoring France: Paris, Lyon and Provence

Is there any chance we can visit Le Chambon-sur-Lignon in Provence during the tour? If we went there after the tour, how would we get there if we don't want to rent a car? We will be there in May, 2023.

Comments

• Options

Not on the itinerary and no public transportation to there from Lyon. So I'm thinking hire a private driver or local guide. Check with the concierge at the Tauck hotel in Lyon. You might also be able to use a rideshare service. It's about an hour and forty minute drive from Lyon.

• Options

We are on this river cruise in late April. Looking at the itinerary, it may be a challenge to have the time to go to LeChambon...one idea might be to extend a day at the end of the trip, We are staying in the Avignon area an extra day before we journey homewards and the distance from Avignon to Le Chambon-sur-Lignon is very possible with car and driver as Ken suggested...without missing the time in Lyon. Of course, I'm always interested in going in early and staying later!!!

• Options

Nancy, where did you stay in Lyon after the tour?

• Options

The best laid plans…I had a bad fall on this trip….made it through but left the day the trip ended rather than staying longer as we planned! I couldn’t bear weight on my left knee and just wanted to go home!

• Options
    edited August 2022

supersecdd - I don't know if this helps, but in 2019 after the Savoring France cruise we stayed at the Sofitel Bellecour Hotel in Lyon. It was in a great location close to the city center with charming pedestrian-only streets and nice cafes. The hotel itself seemed to focus more on business clients but was fine and the service was great.

Nancy - Hope you had a full recovery!

• Options

Thank you, kfnknfzk...I did recover and no permanent damage done from continuing on the trip. Kudos to Tauck (and our TA)...they managed to redo our tickets and get us home earlier than planned with w/c's along the way. A definite advantage to booking air with Tauck...

• Options

Yes, they are the best! Glad you recovered. I remember Elizabith (tour director) showing us the exact spot in Paris where she once fell!

• Options

We had Elisabeth…wonderful TD. I fell on the way to the ship in Lyon…as she was warning us of a drop off in the walkway! I found it…but too late😳🤪🙃

• Options

Yes, I misspelled her name. She was great!

• Options

Nancy glad to hear you healed from your fall but you did push through the remainder of trip.

• Options

Not a comment - a question! Do you see the lavender field in Provence on the Savoring France tour. Planning on an early July 2024. Is there a better cruise choice?

• Options
    edited February 2023

Typically early to mid July is peak season for the lavender, so you should definitely see them. However, with global warming it is hard to predict anything these days. Just my opinion. July is also the hottest month in southern France and summer is the busiest time for tourists.

Nonetheless, it is a fantastic tour. Enjoy.

• Options
    edited February 2023

We took that tour in 2016 and we did see the the lavender fields. We stopped at an abby surrounded by lavender and went into their huge gift shop featuring all things lavender. Sounds hokey but actually very nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file