Options

2024 Trip Advice

We are looking at June/July 2024, any suggestions or a different month, don't want biting insects if possible. Also see recommendations to visit winery? We have 1 free pre night in Capetown, would you do a day trip with private driver or arrive early and stay in winery, if so recommendations on wineries. Last, Luggage, so many comments: we have LW hard sided luggage but see advice to use soft sided? Also for carry on bag, do you need for clothes or just personal effects? TY

Comments

• Options

Hello, keep to long pants and long shirts or tshirts, that will help with naughty mosquitoes and Deet on exposed areas. There are no tsetse flies in South Africa, so that is a plus. We look at temperatures and avoid rainy season to choose our dates. Don’t forget their winter is our summer. It can be very cold, requiring hats gloves and jackets in the early morning and when the sun goes down.
    Tauck included a winery when we did the tour, personally we are not excited about wineries as they are basically the same wherever you go, we prefer seeking out more unique things.
    Everyone has a favorite type of bag for checked luggage, we prefer soft sided because they are lightweight and we don’t like the clam shell opening of hard sided cases, they take ip too much room when opened.
    We prefer backpacks to roll on carry on. Always pack at least one complete spare outfit in our carry on. It’s a great tour.

• Options

Thanks for your comments, that is why we are looking at colder temp, my wife gets bit and does not do well. I can usually do carryon for long trips an experienced flyer but wives are a different story. I think this trip is so casual, it should be a problem for us. If you did anything special, please let me know. :)

• Options
    edited March 2023

Gary, will pm you Go to right hand corner of screen and click on the envelope, it should have a red square on it in addition to the red square to the left of it.