Options

September Canyonlands tour- Packing suggestions?

We are taking the Canyonlands Tour starting on September 23rd. Any suggestions on what clothes to pack and what type of weather can we expect.

Comments

• Options

A little bit of everything from upper 30s, first thing in the morning at Bryce Canyon, to 100+ in Phoenix.

• Options
    cvccvc
    edited May 2023

We took this trip in October of 2022 and I agree with BKMD - you will experience a range of temperatures so layering is key. We did a sunrise hike at the Grand Canyon where I had gloves, a hat, sweatshirt and jacket at the start - but on the return trip I had shed a layer and the gloves. Same experience with the float trip - chilly at the beginning of the trip, but took a layer off as the morning progressed. The entire trip was very casual. Lots of opportunities to hike - but our TD gave us options to accommodate a variety of fitness levels. I am 70 and probably looking at a knee replacement in a year or two - but we thoroughly enjoyed the trip and the hikes really gave us a connection to the parks. Make sure you take water with you when hiking! The first picture is sunrise at the Grand Canyon and the second is our group as we began the float trip down the Colorado River.

• Options

That first pic is amazing, cvc!

• Options

Thanks for the tips. Those pictures are amazing! We can't wait.

• Options

Just got back from the May 14 trip.

I agree with everything previously said about the layering and temperatures. It was down to 30 degrees at Bryce Canyon.

One suggestion to those that sunburn easily is a Columbia Sportwear fishing SPF fishing shirt. I got through the whole tour without burning, which is a miracle in itself.

One other suggestion is to be sure to hydrate. I would suggest filling a wide mouth water bottle everyday at the hotel and refilling it as needed from the water carried by the bus.

Speaking of hydration, here is out tour guide from the Slot Canyon:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file