Options

Things to do in free time

I'm looking at my "green book" for my upcoming small group tour of Ireland. It looks like we'll be spending a lot of free time at hotels removed from towns. Even though they appear to be lovely hotels, I'm looking for suggestions of things to do outside of the hotels. One day (when we're at Lough Eske Castle) we have a choice of going to Belleek for a tour of the porcelain factory or stay behind and "enjoy the hotel." And then "This afternoon, enjoy some time in a medieval town..." I have enough Belleek inherited from family members that I will never use, so don't care about that part of it. Does anyone know which medieval town is scheduled for the afternoon, and whether that's available to people who don't go to Belleek?

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2023

Just returned from that tour. I can only say that it was literally life-changing for me! That said, Lough Eske Castle was a huge disappointment for us and most of our group agreed. First of all, it’s the only accommodation we stayed at that didn’t have air conditioning. Maybe not “normally” a problem but while we were there they were experiencing unusually warm weather which meant none of us could get a decent night’s rest. Just too hot without A/C.
    Beyond that, there’s simply nothing to do there. I opted to stay at the hotel but my Wife went to Belleek. She enjoyed herself while I sat in the library reading my book because there was no outdoor seating in the shade.
    I went with them for the afternoon tour of Donegal. Not a ton there but it was far better than staying at Lough Eske! Donegal Castle is a quick tour and there’s some decent shops in town but for me, the day was made by having lunch at an authentic Irish pub (O’Donnell’s) and enjoying my first Guinness!

• Options

We weren't interested in buying Balleek china, but the visit to the factory was very interesting. We had a guided tour during which the processes were explained and demonstrated.

It looks like if you don't chose the excursion to the Belleek factory, you can sleep in, book a spa treatment, go for a ride on complimentary bikes, take a complimentary history tour, go fishing, or just roam the grounds or the 43 acres of native woodland until noon (and afterwards if you chose to not to go into town.) When we did Best of Ireland several years ago we stayed at the Lough Erne golf resort.

I suspect the medieval town is Donegal which is only a 10 min. drive by car (20 min. by bike). Someone with recent experience will need to weigh in, but, since it is so close, those who spend the morning at Lough Eske should be able to go. The hotel might even take you there.

• Options

Katshot -- I just got back from the Switzerland tour, where the hotels were not allowed to turn on air conditioning before June 1. Anyone who asked for fans got them. I hope it's the same in Ireland. And O'Donnell's would not be my first Guiness! (I won't drink it anywhere except Ireland.)

Alan - I guess I won't spend the morning in Donegal then. Lovely photos, and stunning craftsmanship of the Belleek...as are all of my Waterford crystal glassware. No one in the next generation of my family is going to want them, though. Simon Pearce pottery and glassware is more to their taste (and mine, at the moment ... though I do use my Waterford for holiday gatherings).

• Options
    edited June 2023

A sad footnote, while Belleek is still Irish made and is run locally by four directors, it is owned by Irish American George G. Moore who was born in Dundalk, but based in the US, https://belleekpottery.ie/company-history/ however the WWRD group who owned and manufactured Waterford crystal was acquired in July 2015 by Fiskars Corporation (Fiskars) of Finland, a leading global supplier of consumer products for the home, garden and outdoors- got scissors? :D They acquired the WWRD group of companies including Waterford, Wedgwood, Royal Doulton, Royal Albert and Rogaška. Some specialty pieces of Waterford crystal, like sports trophies, Times Square New Year's ball, etc., are crafted in The House of Waterford Crystal in Waterford, Ireland, however, most Waterford factories are located in Eastern Europe.

• Options
    edited June 2023

We did this tour in 2022 and tested positive for COVID just after the the Donegal / Belleek day. So, we spent a week in quarantine at the Lough Eske. First of all, let me say that the Lough Eske is a lovely hotel, and the staff is excellent, friendly and helpful. That being said, there is a limited amount to do at the hotel and it is not close to town. I would recommend that you do the Belleek and Donegal tours. The Belleek factory is interesting even if you don't intend to buy. Donegal is a pleasant little town with a small medieval tower that you can visit. There are few nice shops there (some quality woolens) and it is a good opportunity to have lunch (you're on your own for lunch). See my review for lunch recommendations. Even if you do both Belleek and Donegal, you will have some free time at the hotel.

Here's a list of things to do at the hotel:

• Walk through the castle's lovely gardens.
    • Leaving the castle from the front, there is a walking path along the lake front. Across the road there is an old stone cross.
    • Leaving the castle from the rear, you can walk along country lanes with views of the lake, country houses, and livestock.
    • The hotel has a spa.
    • The hotel has a history tour daily at 11 am.
    • The Father Browne bar has an extensive collection of photographs by a priest who was also a semi-professional photographer. He was famous for taking pictures of the Titanic on its ill-fated maiden voyage (he got off when it stopped in Ireland - lucky for him). Many photos of life in Ireland in the first half of the 20th century. Well worth a look. It was closed when we were there, but you can view the photos, even if the bar is closed.
    • The hotel also has bicycles that you can borrow (no charge).
    • The hotel can also arrange fishing on the Lake, but I'm not sure of the logistics of this.
    • The hotel does afternoon tea. You may want to consider this as an alternative to lunch in Donegal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file