Options

Tingatinga paintings

I’m interested in getting one of these paintings for my daughter. Were most of them on canvas and can be stored in a tube, or on a wooden frame? I will pack a tube if it can be rolled.

Comments

• Options

Yes, they can be rolled. They do vary in quality but they are fun. I have a giraffe one and one with lots of different animals. The good thing about getting them framed is that they don’t require glass so it works out cheaper than the usual price of framing. I found some great African style frames.

• Options

I framed an extravagant Kenya necklace in a shadow box. I can see all the various layers of the necklace that way.

• Options

British, thanks for the info. I think that would be a fun souvenir for my youngest daughter. She’s an artist. My older daughter is more into jewelry. Can you remember a price range on the paintings?

OurTravels34, that sounds beautiful. I love shadow boxes. I may have to do that for myself.

• Options

I’m sorry, I cannot recall painting prices but sure they were reasonable. I love the Masai necklaces and have some displayed. I also love the talking sticks. They are way more pricey than when we first in Africa in about 2007. If you are interested in those. Look for the ones with carved animals on the top like elephants and rhinos. I must admit when we were last in K and T, there was less choice. I did find some lovely African fabrics at the cultural center in Arusha.

• Options

Thanks, British. I’ll look for the walking sticks too. I’m getting quite a list! On the S-Z tour, do we get a chance to visit the cultural center in Arusha or do we need to do that the day before?

• Options

I picked up a Tingatinga painting on our South Africa an Elegant Adventure a couple years ago. The street artist carefully rolled it and put it in a tube for safe and easy packing. The price was also very reasonable. I had it framed after I got home.

• Options

It is talking sticks, not walking sticks. I’m not at home so cannot show you.
    Yes, you go to the Cultural centre. The Tinga tinga paintings I got were in Zanzibar

• Options

SueMS, that is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

British, sorry for the mixup. I’m curious as to what a talking stick might be!

• Options

It’s like a small club with a beaded handle and decorated top sometimes in an animal Shape. Sorry not at home to take a pic. We are in Vegas

• Options

Have fun in Vegas! I'll do a google search.

• Options

Beautiful artwork, SueMS. We are doing SA Elegant Adventure in September 2024. Where on that trip did you find street artists? I’d love to acquire a piece of art when we are there next year.

• Options

British- I hope you're enjoying our very un-British weather. 108 today.

• Options

Hi JanP: If I remember correctly, it was towards the beginning of the trip in Cape Town on the excursion when we drove around the cape. We stopped for lunch and there were several street artists setup at the edge of the parking lot.

• Options

I can add one comment here. Be ready to haggle on the price. When we bought the above art, we told the artist we would think about it and maybe stop by later. He immediately reduced the price on the painting. I think they expect this to be a negotiable transaction. Also make sure you have cash.

• Options

Great advice, JohnS. Thanks!