Options

Douro Cruise plus Lisbon and Madrid

We are on this tour November 1 - November 12, starting in Madrid. We will have an extra day in Madrid and are looking for things to do on our own before the Tauck tour starts. We have some museums on our tour of Madrid but I was wondering about the Museum of the Americas. Any suggestions for an extra day in Madrid?

Comments

• Options

Whenever in Madrid we always explore the Plaza Mayor area which is an easy walk from Tauck's hotel of choice for this tour. Near the plaza is our favorite market, Mercado de San Miguel, offering an array of delicious choices. The market has always been packed, however. You will also find many great tapas bars if you walk down any of the streets surrounding the Plaza.

I have not visited the Museum of the Americas, preferring to stay within what is referred to as The Golden Triangle of Museums -- the Prado, the Thyssen and the Reina Sofia. Unless the itinerary has changed, Tauck will take you to the Prado and may even give you tickets to the Thyssen.

This is a fabulous tour. Have a wonderful time. I hope you are fortunate to see the breathtaking vineyards with their vibrant fall foliage as you sail along the Douro. Please post a review of your experiences afterwards. It is always nice to compare notes.

• Options

Thanks so much for the advice! Those sound like great suggestions for our time in Madrid! Yes, we do go to the Prado as part of our tour in Madrid and we are looking forward to that. I am a museum guy and really love history and so I was curious about a museum that focuses on the history of Spanish explorations in the Amercias - but you are correct of course that it is quite a distance away from our hotel. I know we will have a great time with plenty to see and do closer to where we are staying. We have traveled with Tauck 9 times now and are never disappointed with their choices for our itineraries.

• Options

You are very welcome. I hope you enjoy the Plaza Mayor area and will report back after your trip. Safe and memorable travels!

• Options
    edited October 2023

OP Traveler, there is also an excellent archeology museum - Museo Arqueologico Nacional - that's a fairly easy walk from the hotel. It's very inexpensive - 3 euros unless you're over 65 then it's free.

They offer a digital guide for 2 euros or you can download the App MAN National Archaeological Museum before leaving home. Very well done museum.

• Options

We are also interested in the history of the early maritime explorations. Highly recommend the Naval Museum. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Museum_of_Madrid

• Options

Thanks for the great suggestions on museums in the area. I am sure one of those will work out for us.

• Options
    edited October 2023

OP Traveler - Although you didn't mention Lisbon, there is a maritime museum there run by the Portuguese Navy. It is the Museu de Marinha. It was listed on Tauck's 'things to do in Lisbon' handout on one of our tours and is part of the Jeronimos Monastery.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file