Options

Free transfers in Amsterdam and Basel

My family is booked for the southbound Castles on the Rhine cruise next summer, with extra days planned on both ends (Amsterdam and Zurich). I’ve been told that Tauck will provide free transfers between the airport and hotel on each end, but since we’re not staying in Tauck selected hotels in those cities we have to arrange our own transportation between the hotels and ship at the start/end of the cruise.

Assuming that understanding is correct, does anyone know whether, if we are able to get ourselves from our hotel to the Tauck select hotel, we could then take advantage of the free transfer to the ship on the departure date, and do similarly on the cruise end date?

If not are we best off just taxiing it between the ship and the hotel on both ends?

Comments

• Options

Tauck appears to have some new rules about transfers. At one time, they would only do them if you stayed in the Tauck hotel, but there is now some sort of thing where they will get you to your hotel whatever it is and then you make your way from that hotel to the Tauck one. I suggest you call Tauck to clarify all this so you are sure to get the most up to date arrangements.

• Options

As of September, 2023 Tauck arranged for transportation to and from hotel to airports even if the hotel was not the Tauck hotel. However, they did not provide transportation from the ship to and from the hotel if it was not the Tauck hotel.

British is correct about checking with Tauck. I certainly would, especially since we were given different answers about the boat to hotel transfers by various Tauck agents. When I pointed out that one agent had told us Tauck would transfer us from the ship to the non Tauck hotel they still stuck to their guns even thought I had the agent's name and date of call. But actually it was not a big deal as the ship arranged a taxi and it cost us about 10 euros. (We were in Budapest)

Happy New Year!

• Options

Thank you for the answers!

Birder49 - what do you mean by the “ship arranged a taxi”? Was that specifically the cruise director? How did you reach out to someone to have them arrange the taxi, or did they just do it for you and let you know?

• Options

On our 4 river cruises, the day before we debark the cruise director gives out a sheet with information about your flight and/or hotel and how you are transfering. . They should already know this because of the information you will have given them before the tour begins. If you had Tauck arrange your air they already know that information. They ask you to verify that the information on the sheet it is correct.

If they are not providing the transfer, they will tell you to check with cruise director to arrange a taxi to your hotel.

It really has been seamless but I can understand your questions if you havent done this before.
    Of course they could change procedures for 2024 but they will make it so easy. One of the many joys of traveling with Tauck.

On our last trip we started in Amsterdam and did not stay at the Tauck hotel. Our hotel arranged transportation for us to the ship.

I hope I explained it okay. It is not as complicated as all my words might make it sound. :-)

• Options

Sounds good, thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file