Options

Free Time

There has not been much discussion about this tour, so I thought I would start a thread. I am scheduled to take this tour later this year. For those of you familiar with the New Orleans area, do you have any suggestions for "must see/do" attractions that can be visited during the available free time? I have started to look for options myself, but also wondering if any locals have suggestions that may be less touristy but still interesting and fun.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options

Take a ride on the St Charles Ave. streetcar. Board on Canal St. and it will take you through the business district, the beautiful Garden District, the Uptown mansions, Audubon Park, the University area and Carrollton where it ends. Reboard and ride back to Canal St. The fare is not that much and well worth the ride.
    Also I would check out the cemeteries, although do not go alone. Metairie Cemetery is very beautiful and very interesting. It’s accessible by the Canal St streetcar as the streetcar ends very close to it. Again do not go alone.
    So many interesting places to see. You won’t be disappointed.

• Options
    edited March 8

maximgr....agree with eleonore. To add to the list, I think that tour visits Preservation Jazz Hall; however, for a really nice dinner/music treat, make reservations at Galatoire's restaurant (men must wear a jacket or one will be provided) and when you're finished, walk right across the street and hear a nice Jazz music set in the Jazz Playroom inside the Royal Sonesta Hotel.

You didn't state which month you're traveling. There are lots of festivals throughout the year in New Orleans--hopefully one that interests you will be taking place while you're visiting.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

• Options

Miss those two martini lunches at Galatoires

• Options
    edited March 9

For most of my life in New Orleans, Galatoire's didn't take reservations. You waited in line on Bourbon Street. They started taking reservations in 1999 (I think). I have been there since 1999.

• Options

Thank you, Eleonore and Robin! The streetcar tour is included with the Tauck itinerary so I think I have that covered, but I will definitely try to check out Galatoire's. I looked at the menu online and it looks good! On the topic of food, I understand that NOLA is famous for dishes like gumbo, jambalaya, and red beans & rice. Can you recommend a place for any or all of these?

• Options
    edited March 12

Traditionally, Monday was red beans and rice day. There used to be small corner restaurants that would serve a simple lunch and Monday was alway red beans and rice. The meat was "pickled pork" which has a different taste from ham.

The reason Monday was red beans and rice day was that Monday was wash day. The red beans could be put on the stove and cooked slowly until lunch time.

• Options

Food: for distinctly un-fancy but delicious try Mothers. For fancy but very good, Comanders Palace.

• Options
    edited March 13

I am not a fan of Commander's Palace. The last couple of times I've eaten there, the food was not that good. I think they’re living on their past reputation.

There are much better restaurants in New Orleans. Galatoire’s is one. Court of Two Sisters was good last time I went there. There are some new restaurants in the French Quarter (don’t remember the names) that do an excellent job.

If you go to Commander’s, Lafayette Cemetery is across the street from Commander’s. If you walk down the main aisle, about half way down, on your right, you’ll find the Henderson Crypt.

• Options

Parkway Bakery for best po-boys in town.
    College Inn great restaurant frequented by a lot of locals and great food.
    Jambalaya and red beans and rice…. My house!!!!

• Options

Love those muffaletta's from Central Grocery.

But not heart healthy!!!

• Options

eleanore all excellent choices; Folsomdoc I'm not sure the last time you dined at Mother's, but IMO., it should be avoided--It's a tourist attraction and the food is mediocre at best.

• Options

Pure Luxury…. I agree Mothers in my opinion was never good !

• Options
    edited March 13

For an out of the way place, uptown, try Frankie and Johnny's, 321 Arabella St. Great Po-boys. This is a neighborhood place and not fancy. Get a fried oyster po-boy. They also have red beans and rice.
    http://frankieandjohnnys.net/Menu/

I make the best Jambalaya.

• Options

Mothers-I’ll admit it’s been years. When I regularly had meetings in New Orleans I’d stop after my morning run (I know, I know) and get the ham before the molasses covered outside was gone. It was yummy. I loved the sign behind the register that said “Our credit manager is Helen Waite. If you want credit go to Helen Waite” Lots of love for Galitoires here but some companies I dealt with would take us there on a regular basis and I thought it was loud and the food was overrated. Commanders Palace has had a new executive chef for a few years, first female, and she has some new dishes on the menu. Had lunch there last year and the pork shoulder was fabulous. Was also glad to dine again at Brigsten’s. A bit out of the way but so good. Glad to hear Central Grocery survived, it was pitch dark when I last walked by and thought they had succumbed to the pandemic. I have several stained shirts to testify how messy their terrific muffaletta can be. And saddened that Upperline did not survive the pandemic. A terrific place a colleague from Tulane would take us regularly. Best sweetbreads I’ve ever tasted.

• Options

Central Grocery has been closed since Hurricane Ida as the building sustained damage. They are repairing and hope to reopen sometime later this year. You can still buy the muffuletta at a location next store. They are pre made and packaged.

• Options

Thanks, all; appreciate it!

• Options

I am not usually a fan of war museums but the world war 2 museum in the "museum" district is spectacular. We spent 2 + hours there and could have used more time. Of course some other "most do's" are Cafe du Monde for beignets (totally touristy) and a concert at Preservation Hall Jazz. If you have time to explore further, a tour of a plantation and a swamp tour.

• Options
    edited March 16

The war museum, Preservation Hall, plantation and swamp tour are all included in the Tauck itinerary, I believe. Will look into Cafe du Monde, thanks. I have never been to New Orleans so looking forward to this trip!

• Options

sherry_schare - Of course some other "most do's" are Cafe du Monde for beignets.

Yes, been there many times. I remember going there as a kid and trying to get another kid to laugh just as they were biting into a beignet. Beignets are covered with powdered sugar, so a laugh resulted in powdered sugar all over, or inhaling it.

• Options

Although I no longer go to zoos, New Orleans used to have a good one with albino alligators. We took the steamboat from Jackson Square to and from the zoo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file