Options

Customs/Meds

If asked, when (and where) do you need to show prescription meds....before boarding the plane in the states, or once you arrive in Japan?

Comments

• Options

Been in Japan twice, have never been asked.

• Options

Been to Japan three times. Never asked about drugs Never volunteer to show a customs officer anything, anywhere unless they ask you!

• Options
    edited March 27

It is unlikely you will be asked about your meds, unless they suspect you of something - or, you just get caught in a random check.

It's always good to be prepared but I doubt if you will be asked about your meds. And the only thing they really worry about are drugs that can be abused. Your cholesterol meds (for example) would not be a problem but opioids could be a problem.

I have never been asked about medications, in any country, ever - and I did a lot of international business travel, including Japan.

• Options

Thanks....
    if we are questioned...would that be before flying. to Japan...or once we arrive?

• Options

That would likely be at Japan Customs and Immigration. I have never been asked re drugs when I left the US (probably 100 overseas flights in my life).

• Options

When you arrive in Japan. Have you been to the Japan government website to check if any of your drugs are banned or restricted, there are some surprising ones. If they are on there, you might have to send for permits

• Options

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't think our prescription drugs would be restricted...Following Tauck's advice we did get letters from the doctors listing the meds.
    Which I guess means we have to bring the prescription meds in their original containers instead of those daily pill boxes.
    (too bad....the daily pill boxes take up a lot less room. than the individual containers for each med)
    We will then switch the meds over to the pill boxes once we arrive at the hotel.
    It sounds like most travelers are not even asked about meds, but we figured we should follow Tauck's advice about getting letters and keeping the meds in their original containers, just in case we are questioned.

• Options

Anyone can print their meds off the official website of their healthcare team. That’s what we do.
    I’ve taken photos of the bottles and pills in the past. But, your pharmacist will help you by giving you extra bottles with official labels on of each medicine, which I did years ago. You don’t want to take entire bottles of your meds incase they get lost. Mine come in three month supplies In addition, some countries, if they do check your meds. Will not allow more than a one month supply.
    For myself, I will risk not taking original containers.

• Options

Here is the clear information that the US embassy provides about medicines in Japan

https://jp.usembassy.gov/services/importing-medication/

• Options

I noticed that some allergy medications are illegal. Do you know where I can find a complete list? Or does anyone know if Allegra or Zyrtec are allowed?

• Options
    edited March 28

You will have to go to the Japan government website as instructed in the website above. That’s the only way for current information.
    Here is a link to that site

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

Looks as if you will have to send an email to them.
    As stated above, it’s unlikely you will be asked to show any drugs. But you might want to obtain a certificate if it is necessary for your drugs, have it available but only produce it if they ask to see your meds. I doubt they will.

We have only been inconvenienced twice in foreign countries, not at customs, but at security and both times it was because of binoculars! The first time in South Africa when it turns out an inexperienced agent did not recognize that a metal rod showing on the screen was part of a regular pair of binoculars. He passed my bag through screening three times and asked me if I knew what he was looking for,I said no. He called over a colleague while I stood there quite frightened. the colleague tutted, said something rude to him and pulled out the binoculars, then let me through with them. The second time was leaving Oman, the agent took out my husband’s binoculars and wanted to know why he had them, took away his passport and disappeared. He waited for a good ten minutes before they returned and handed back both to him….someone else on the forum had the same experience and the TD had warned us it was a common occurrence. The binoculars were in our checked bags by the way, not carry on.
    Sorry to divert the drugs conversation.

• Options

British - Thanks for the info. I also read online that you can easily pick up over the counter meds upon arrival. But since you brought up binoculars, did you have a problem with them bringing them into Japan?

• Options

Did not take any. The only place they might be useful is to see Fuji more clearly if you get a cloudy day

• Options

Unless you're an avid birder, not much need for binocs. And for Fuji, zoom in on your camera :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file