Options

MS Sapphire

We are taking our 14 year old grandson on this river cruise this summer. Have any of you been on this trip and can you tell me if there are often other teenagers on board? Also, I am assuming that the Compass Rose still serves the same menu for dinners? Our grandson loves good food and I am hoping that we can still order off the same menu even though it is a family trip? Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    edited April 21

The menus change based on the Chef on each cruise. The food is always excellent. Arthurs is also another wonderful option.

• Options
    edited April 21

The ages very much range trip to trip. On our Danube Bridges trip in 2022 there wasn't a child under 12 present (oldest was 18 I think). But I know the tour after us had families with a range of much, much younger kids. We joked "good luck!" with our tour directors as they were loading up the next group as it looked like it was going to be quite the handful compared to our group. I would advise calling Tauck directly as you get closer to the tour and they can give you the ages and breakdown by number of boys vs. girls. But it can change right up until the tour leaves.

EDIT: and depending on your particular chef on board the menu/food will change. But I second @terrilynn - the food on the boat was so so good. We still talk about Chef Peter! It was a dining experience like no other we've ever had. Mind you the personal touches were much easier to do when our boat tour only had 35 people on it. It was like having a private boat!

• Options

I think Vandmreiss might be inquiring if the menu is the same for children as it is for adults. I can't speak to family cruises, but on our holiday market cruise (non Bridges) there were several families with teenagers and, yes, the dining room menus were the same. I did notice that many evenings children were absent from the dining room, so they may have eaten in Authur's since the selection there is perhaps more palatable for children, i.e. hamburgers and macaroni and cheese.

• Options

@kfnknfzk - well in regard to the menu specifically. Yes, the menu was very much an adult menu. I don't recall seeing a children's menu on our bridges tour, but then again, we didn't have little kids on ours either. And I will say that some nights on the bridges tour - they specifically had dinning nights for the kids in Arthurs. It was both an activity (like learning to make pizza with the chef), but it was also a way to give the adults a nice quiet dinner as well. I remember the pizza night well as our 12 y/o tore off with his new friends and our 14 y/o wanted to hang back and have a more adult dining experience with us.

• Options

On our Bridges Red Rocks Painted Canyons tour last year. The kids were made all to sit at the same table and were given a kids menu at the Welcome dinner. Not a good start. Our then nine year old and six year old grandsons were very upset as they have eaten everything from oysters to snails. Our granddaughter is a Mac and cheese type. Our daughter was upset her son had to have the crappy pathetic kids menu. There was also too much pizza type meals and not good pizza either. But I do think on the riverboats it will be the same menu as adults.

• Options

Vandmreiss when are you sailing? We are traveling with our 13 and 15 year olds and hope for some kids their age.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file