Options

Kenya&Tanzania Classic Safari Questions

My husband and I are booked for the July 7, 2012 safari. I have done a lot of research and travel forum reading, but I still have a ton of questions for anyone that has taken this tour.

* Did you need shillings for incidentals - i.e. drinks, souvenirs, tips?
* Weather - typical daytime and nighttime July temperatures? dusty?
* Cost of drinks - beer, wine, mixed?
* Should we bring items to donate - pencils, paper?
* Restroom facilities while out on game drives?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am so excited!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi pattravelbug,

* Did you need shillings for incidentals - i.e. drinks, souvenirs, tips?
    Personal expenses such as phone calls, room service, alcoholic and bar beverages, mineral water, soft drinks, laundry service, airline excess charges, souvenirs, and other optional incidentals are not included.
    You may want to bring some Tanzanian Shillings and Kenyan Shillings. Hotels and lodges regularly exchange money. To obtain the most up-to-date currency exchange rate, you may wish to check the following websites prior to your departure: www.xe.com orwww.xrates.com. We also recommend that you carry some cash in U.S. dollars, in $1, $5, $10, and $20 denominations, for miscellaneous use when only a small amount of currency is required. Bills should be crisp and of the newer variety (with the larger presidential portraits). Bills printed prior to 2000 may not be accepted. American Express, Diners Club, Visa, and Master Card are all widely recognized credit cards and are accepted at most hotels, shops, and restaurants in East Africa. Expect to pay surcharges of up to 10% for purchases made with credit cards in Tanzania and Kenya.

* Weather - typical daytime and nighttime July temperatures? dusty?
    Weather in Tanzania and Kenya are relatively mild . The average temperature in both places are in the mid 70s during the day and in the 50s at night. Game drives can be dusty, so wear something that can be washed while on tour. Dry cleaning service is not available; however, the hotels and lodges we stay in throughout the safari portion of our itinerary, have laundry service and pressing available for an additional charge.

Comfortable and casual clothing is recommended while on this tour. For daytime and evening wear, including the Welcome and Farewell receptions and dinners, casual dress is recommended. Formal attire is not required. During the day, lightweight cotton shirts, skirts, pants, and shorts are sufficient. A light jacket, fleece, or windbreaker, as well as layers of clothing are suggested, for cooler temperatures during early morning game drives and evenings. While on safari it is recommended you wear natural earth-colored clothing, such as khakis, tans, browns, and greens, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sneakers. It is also a good idea to bring a swimsuit, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, and lip protection.

* Cost of drinks - beer, wine, mixed?
    With the exception of a couple of dinners. Drinks are considered a personal expense

* Should we bring items to donate - pencils, paper?
    This is completely up to you. Just keep in mind the weight restrictions of your checked luggage.

* Restroom facilities while out on game drives?
    During game drives that depart from the lodges we are normally are only out for a few hours and guests can use the facilities at their lodges both prior to and after the game drives.

I hope this helps,
    Tauck Emily
  • Options
    We just returned Friday (Feb 3, 2012) from Tanzania / Kenya tour. Can't say enough good things. Will prepare detailed comments to submit them ASAP.

We took no shillings with us nor did we change any dollars into either Tanzanian or Kenyan shillings. U.S. dollars were accepted everywhere - even by the Maasai tribesmen. However, if you are due any change it will be given in shillings. That is why people recommend carrying lots of new $1 bills. We were warned that some people would not accept older bills (pre 2005) or torn or damaged bills. Indeed, as we crossed from Tanzania to Kenya one of our party gave a damaged bill to a local vendor...who insisted on a replacement.

Check the Internet for weather conditions in July. The Tauck advisor gave you good advice in his answer. Be sure to take a "buff". Well worth the few dollars they cost when the dust is choking and the flies are swarming. I only used my buff once (as we went thru part of the Great Migration) but it was really worth having.

Sorry, can't help too much with cost of drinks...as we do not drink. Cokes were very reasonably priced and I did not hear anyone in our group complain about bar bills.

We brought pencils, school supplies and as many flip-flops as our luggage allowed. All were appreciated. The need is so great anything you can do will help. My wife and I even left our extra pair of shoes. These are proud, wonderful people so we were very careful not to offend.

Tauck did everything possible to ensure some semblance of bathroom facilities during game drives. I did not expect that but their efforts were appreciated, especially by the ladies. You will be in the middle of nowhere so keep your expectations reasonable. Tauck tries not to make the drives too long so, unless you have medical problems, you should be fine. Beth took some travel toilet paper with her just in case and shared it with fellow travelers. And, of course, your drivers are always willing (unless predators are in the area) to let you check the Land Cruiser "for flat tires". Hope you get my drift...

I will try to answer more questions soon. You might wish to read the blog of Tommye Fleming right here on the Tauck site. We did - many times. She really helped us prepare.

• Options

Thank you Leo for your very helpful response. I was worried about not having shillings, even though everything I read said US dollars are accepted, that's one worry off my mind! I have read Tommye's info. I'll be anxiously awaiting your report!

• Options
    what is a "buff"?
  • Options
    Hi land5455,

I wondered the same thing, but we watch Survivor so I had an idea. Some outdoor stores refer to them as a neck gaiter. It is a knit tube that goes over your head and around your neck. It can then be pulled up to cover your head and neck or bunched around your neck and pulled up to cover your nose and mouth if it is dusty. The girls on Survivor wear them like tube tops. I have priced them and they cost $20 - $35. I'll probably just pack a large bandana.
  • Options
    Ok, now I kno what a buff is!
  • Options
    Hi Patravelbug....our Tanzania Kenya Safari blog and pictures can be found at...

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/leomcyr/1/1326885220/pod.html

Hope you have as wonderful a time as we did....Leo M

This discussion has been closed.