Pollution in China

Is it recommended to get pollution masks? If so, any brand suggestions? We are on the April 6,2017 trip to China/Yagtze river cruise.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Is it recommended to get pollution masks? If so, any brand suggestions? We are on the April 6,2017 trip to China/Yagtze river cruise.

You might want to do a forum search on this one (see "Search" in light blue bar above.) There are likely several threads about it and I posted to one several months ago.

I don't recall the details, but believe the consensus was that because you are in polluted areas for so short a time, unless you have respiratory issues, a mask isn't necessary. Also, the kind of mask you might need may be expensive and certainly will not be a fashion statement.

Here is a response from 2013:

"We just returned from this tour. In Beijing and some other big cities my eyes felt gritty and my face dirty after spending all day outside, but overall the air quality was reasonable. Only a smattering of local people wore masks, and those mostly commuters traveling on or near the roads with heavy traffic. Our tour director reported on the air quality, and I am sure you would be kept informed. The air along the Yangtze cruise was exceptionally fresh. I had a mask that I never used . . . well, except for one time in an airport, where people were smoking, and that was primarily to make myself feel better about being in cigarette smoke."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file