Options

Internet Privacy While Traveling

I have a little one with special needs and the only thing that keeps him calm during the chaos of travel is being able to watch videos and play various games on his tablet. However, we often have to use the unsecured public internet networks that are offered through airports, airlines, train stations, etc. I'm concerned about the privacy of our information when tapped into these networks and I wonder if there is anything I can do to keep our devices safe from being tapped into by people with impure intentions.

Comments

• Options
    You can get security software for most tablets. You'll need to do some research depending on the brand/operating system.

Re games, do they actually have to be played with the wifi on or can you leave the tablet in airplane mode? All the games I play on mine can be done that way even though the maker doesn't want you to because it cuts down on ads you see.

You can also download videos to watch offline - again depending on which tablet you own. We have Amazon Prime and my husband downloads video to his 7" Fire for offline viewing - free for the named person on the prime acct.

If you say which specific tablet your son uses and the games he likes to play you might get more help here.

• Options
    You can get security software for most tablets. You'll need to do some research depending on the brand/operating system.

Re games, do they actually have to be played with the wifi on or can you leave the tablet in airplane mode? All the games I play on mine can be done that way even though the maker doesn't want you to because it cuts down on ads you see.

You can also download videos to watch offline - again depending on which tablet you own. We have Amazon Prime and my husband downloads video to his 7" Fire for offline viewing - free for the named person on the prime acct.

If you say which specific tablet your son uses and the games he likes to play you might get more help here.

Thanks for your response. We have a Kindle Fire Kids and an iPad. Some of the games do need wi-fi, and others do not. But of course when traveling the only ones he wants to play are the ones that need the wi-fi. I will definitely look into downloading videos. I heard that is something Netflix now allows and we do have a Netflix subscription, so that might be useful. Have you heard anything about vpns? A family member suggested I look at these https://www.bestvpn.com/free-vpns/ or these https://securethoughts.com/3-best-vpns-privacy/ , but I am not even sure where to begin with them. Thanks again for your help. Hopefully others have some ideas as well.