Tauck Charters On Tour

Will be doing this trip at the end of October and was curious about the planes used on tour; the charters. Are their luggage restrictions on these flights and I read you load your own luggage into the hold on the plane. Have read a bunch on this forum, but would appreciate some details about these flights. We generally travel on Tauck with more than two suitcases and can't see how we can do with less.

Comments

• I don't remember having to 'lug' any luggage to the planes. I just remember virtually driving right to the planes, getting on and drinking the champagne. We've never had to take more than one medium to large suitcase each on a Tauck tour and a small backpack, and I think we've taken more than twenty now. Australia and NZ are very casual, there is really no need to dress up much.
  • Thanks British, can always count on you for a response. This will be our third Tauck tour and we can't seem to manage with a bag each. Backpacks are not comfortable for us as I carry a large camera bag and another with electronics and meds that we don't want to check through with our bags. Anyone else have something else to add???
  • Hello Sandman, you know how blunt I tend to be. I carry a small Vera Bradley backpack these days that is very light. In that I carry my meds, I take 7 meds! Camera, my mini ipad and phone, the electronics power cords for each. If it is a 'binoculars' location, I take those in the backpack too. Usually two complete changes of clothing and even sometimes an extra pair of underwear. If it is a travel venue where a swimsuit is essential for the vacation, I also pack a swimsuit. Oh and at least one book because I am not a lover of reading on a Kindle, I still love to have a book---though I admit that on Tauck vacations I do read it to and from the start and end of trip but rarely on the tour, I'm ready to go straight to sleep at the end of the day, or I make notes on "notes" for my photobook diary if I intend to make one, I also use that to pre-write emails to folks back home in case the internet link disappears halfway through me writing an email.
    I learned very quickly once I began to travel a lot that I use clothing that weighs little, does not require ironing ( omg, Mr B would never allow ironing on vacation!) I limit the color range and add the odd scarf to jazz an outfit up and smart enough so it can generally pass for evening attire too, if there is no time to change on return to the hotel, or I don't
    want to miss what is going on. When you meet interesting tour companions, the last thing you want to do is disappear to get changed instead of spending time having interesting conversation and fun with them.
    I am sure those who are even more seasoned travelers will chip in here. I do know there is a laundry somewhere near the Sydney hotel, but we never used it and do it yourself laundry in a couple of the hotels. It's not too hot or cold when you have chosen your travel date, so that helps. We particularly liked New Zealand. Have a great time.
  • What British says is absolutely correct - but mind you that is from a ladies perspective. Nevertheless, as a mere man British's assessment makes perfect sense. The on Tour charter around New Zealand is absolutely super not least that as I am 6 ft 4 the leg room is magical! I certainly do not recall lugging (or, from another thread, should I now say "schlepping") bags to and from the aircraft. The usual Tauck efficiency looked after all that. I have to admit that during 8 tours my own "man" bag is always somewhat lighter than my wife's, but we have always managed to restrict to just 2 main cases even if sharing space to equalize weight. To us, we just like to keep things simple. You will really enjoy the trip. There are laundry facilities at some hotels and, of course for a price, some hotels with a 2 night stay will do it for you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file