Options

Tauck Tanzania Kenya Safari 2012

When we went to Africa with Tauck on January 19th I vowed not to lug my computer along. I took a notebook and a pen instead. It was a good idea. There was nothing to distract us from enjoying Tanzania & Kenya. There would be no Internet to remind us of events we were powerless to influence. The down side would be our return when all my notes had to be compiled. For the last week, I’m sure my poor wife, Beth, thought I was writing the Encyclopedia Britannica. And, when the prose was complete, work began on the 1,600 pictures that we had taken. It took days just to cull the photos down to a manageable number. You will find the results of our work at the following blog address:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/leomcyr/1/1326885220/tpod.html

We hope you enjoy our journey.

Leo & Beth

Comments

• Options
    Leo & Beth:
    Sounds like you had a truly fantastic vacation. I am going in August and can't wait. How much spending money did you bring with you? Was it all in American small bills? Also,please give me an idea on what the fair price is for a scarf or bowl at the Mari Massi. I think I will go review your blogg again. ! Loved it!
  • Options
    Hi June,
    We are also going in august, what date? Aren't these blogs incredibly helpful!
    susan
  • Options
    We are also going in august- our safari leaves 8/26- are you with us?
  • Options
    Leo - We are booked on the May 19 safari. I loved reading your blog and appreciate all the helpful information. My husband won't read anything or look at any photos or videos because he likes to be surprised; whereas I like to be prepared!

I spend about 16 hours per day on the computer - both for work, trip research, and entertainment; but I will reluctantly leave the laptop behind. As much as I want to download and view my photos each day, I do not want to carry around this laptop for 3 weeks and worry about it when I leave it in hotel rooms.

Did you just use several memory cards for your camera? Or did you download photos to CD's along the way? I am bring ing two cameras (a good one and a backup) and both take splendid videos as well. I think I will buy a few more 8G or 16G cards to make sure I don't run out.

I also want to ask you about birds since they are my main interest. Were there birds around the hotel grounds that you could walk around and photograph? Or did you mostly see them when you were riding in the vehicles? At the first lodge in Arusha, could you walk to Lake Duluti? We are staying there for 2 nights before the tour begins.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Hi Ilene..I'd prefer to be surprised too but I'm an obsessive preparer. My wife was right in suggesting I leave the computer at home. I enjoyed the trip more without worrying if the laptop was secure while we were in the field. I took extra memory cards for both our cameras. I also used multiple cards so I didn't have the entire trip on one card (just in case I had a defective card). I should have taken extra batteries too but did not. Thankfully, I only ran out of power one day in Ngorongoro. After that, I charged my battery every night. I really wish I could help more with your bird questions. Everyone on our trip joked that Leo took no picture unless the animal weighed half a ton. However, we did see smaller birds at the hotels and Secretary birds, bustards, eagles, hawks, and buzzards in the bush. Yes, you can walk to Lake Duluti but we did not. We opted instead for a trip to the Tanzanian Heritage Center that our Tauck Director arranged. Have a great time and let us know how you enjoyed the adventure. We leave May 20 for Russia and hope we'll enjoy ourselves as much as we KNOW you will enjoy your trip to Africa. We are already planning our next Africa trip...Leo
  • Options
    I am booking a second tauck africa trip. The elegant south africa was amazing. I am trying to decide between the Kenya/Tanzania tour or the Tanzania/Zanzibar. I have no idea what is in zanzibar. Any comments would be very appreciated. Information on flights from jfk would be helpful.
    thanks
  • Options
    Glaveston: We did Tanzania/Zanzibar in March. We had done S. Africa and Kenya 10 years ago; also Botswana.

If you have not been to Kenya I would elect to do that The plains animals on the Masai Mara are special.

Zanzibar is a nice diversion after a safari. It has nice beaches and historiical sights. The red colobus monkies at the National Park there are fun to see as well. The last day of this tour is a waste as Dar Es Salaam is not a place you can do anything and traffic there is horrendous.

Hope this is helpful. I am sure you will love either choice.
  • Options
    Hi, I see that a couple of people are going to Tanzania and Kenya in August. We are on the August 1st trip. Would love to chat. Karen
  • Options
    I noticed a lot of people on this blog are going in August. Anyone on the August 11 trip?
  • Options
    We're going August 11. We're currently starting to think about packing and all the accessories we'll need. These forums are really helpful.. Any questions or suggestions?
  • Options
    Hi Gabby,
    Nice to hear from someone who will on the same trip. How many in your group and where are you coming from?
    I, too, am thinking about packing and trying to figure out how light I can pack so I can carry on my luggage rather than check it. I really don't know what to do - I keep going back and forth. I have heard horror stories about lost luggage on this particular trip and I'm sure it doesn't happen often but I don't know if I want to chance it. What are you going to do?
    You can either reply back on this forum or e-mail me directly at cldenovio@frontiernet.net
  • Options
    Hello Blackmagic, I also had serious worries about lost luggage inasmuch as we had two different carriers from L.A. and two connections. I packed everything I needed in a 22" wheeled carryon. It was very snug, but I had no worries because my bag was with me all the way.
This discussion has been closed.