Antarctica Comments

I just returned (January 2-15, 2018 trip) from Antarctica. Here are some tips: #1 In extreme cold your iPhone & camera do not work. Don't rely upon your iPhone as your only camera. #2 If your departure date is near January 1, most of Buenos Aires closes down because that is their start of Summer. They all go on holiday and the airports are jammed with Argentine travelers. #3 Wear layers. We did a lot of hiking after being dropped off on excursions. With multiple layers and hiking in deep snow, up hills, etc. you may begin to sweat which is not good. I spent a lot of time with no hat, no gloves and my jacket unzipped. #4 Certainly bring a daypack to carry "stuff", lenses, etc. #5 I was up on deck 6 and would have preferred to be on deck 3. Deck 3 had the lounge where all excursions (2 a day) departed and returned, Deck 4 was where the lectures were held and Deck 2 is where we had many dinners. A fantastic trip and I'm truly glad that I did it. It was my seventh continent. Smooth seas going over and moderate seas coming back. As usual, I met some really nice Tauck travelers. I was a solo traveler and found my 194 sq. ft. room to be a little small. Another reason to pack light is because with two in a room you may find that there will not not be enough storage (drawer) space.

After our trip some of the travelers went to Iquazu Falls in Uruguay. That sounded like a good idea. I went over to Panama City, Panama to go thru the canal and do some birding. Now I wish that I'd also gone to the falls. Reply to this post if you would like some Panama birding recommendations.

Safe Travels, Heath from Rocklin, California

Comments

• Here's a tip that may help future travelers with iPhone/cold issues:

I ski a lot. I carry a Clif Bar, for a mid-day snack, in my pants pocket, not my jacket pocket Being in a pants pocket provides warmth from your adjacent body. Keeping it in a jacket pocket does little to keep it from freezing. Should work similarly with electronics/batteries.