Options

What to pack for Mid April Australia/NZ tour

Any suggestions for what to bring to wear on an Mid-April Australia/NZ tour? I see the general guidelines but just wanted to know what suggestions anyone might have.

Comments

• Options
    Check the forecasts at weatherspark.com and then plan accordingly. We went from over 100 at Uluru to the 40's in New Zealand. Think about layers of clothing. It's a great trip and quite casual.
  • Options
    Parts of the South Island of New Zealand were colder than I'd anticipated so I ended up buying a couple of sweatshirts, both of which I continued to enjoy after our return home. New Zealand is beautiful!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    The weather in NZ and southern part of Australia will be cooler by then. You won't have to rug up, but have some layers to adjust to the temperature wherever you happen to be. The northern part of Australia will be pleasant and warmer around Uluru where the evening temperatures will be cooler (but not freezing) at that time of year.
  • Options
    Bonnie88 wrote:
    Any suggestions for what to bring to wear on an Mid-April Australia/NZ tour? I see the general guidelines but just wanted to know what suggestions anyone might have.

We just got back and for the most part the trip is extremely casual. Many women wore leggings or capri yoga pants with tee shirt/tunic tops. However, the later into March and moving to New Zealand, it definitely was cooler and wetter. The quick dry clothing from places like REI, Columbia, North Face, etc was very popular with both men and women and convenient when you consider that you will likely do some laundry in the bathtub. The pants that can roll up to be capris were fairly standard wardrobe. Be sure to bring a raincoat, some kind of light down or fleece and a small umbrella. No need for high heels, dress shoes or anything fancy. You will do a lot of walking, so comfortable, durable and shoes that can get wet are important. Keen closed toe style footwear was used by most men and women.

There are a lot of early mornings. I don't think anyone noticed who was wearing what and/or how many times they wore it. 2 pants, 2 capris, and a pair of shorts with a variety of tops to layer, mix and match would be adequate. One bathing suit if you plan to snorkle at the great barrier reef, but that was the only opportunity to swim unless you use a free day to go to the hotel's pool.

I only saw 2 or 3 of the men on our group of 38 wearing a jacket, but I suspect they wear jackets more frequently in their home cities, so judge on comfort/taste, not need. There were two dressier occasions. Welcome dinner and farewell dinner. I would say those evenings were not any dressier than going to a restaurant in your hometown. Certainly not cocktail attire.

Elastic waistbands are a good idea... Tauck never lets you go hungry!

Fabulous trip, beautiful scenery, lots of new friends.
  • Options
    We were on tour March 5 - 24 (hi Jan!). I wore my lightweight puffy coat several times, especially in New Zealand. Under Armour shirt, zip up light jacket and puffy. March mornings in New Zealand were cool. Add boat cruises on water and it is quite cool (Milford Sound). Think layers. Like Jan said, no one was paying attention to clothing choices or how often things were worn. Bring layers. Be comfortable. Quick dry shoes were good too. I had tennis/walking shoes on during a downpour and they took 2 days to dry out. I decided to wear my Ecco sandal hikers whenever there was a chance of rain because they would dry out quickly. Weather was variable, but if our weather was any indication, be prepared for cool and rainy.
  • Options
    We did this trip in Feb and my absolute favorite thing I brought was a packable down jacket. I was able to carry it everywhere because it was easy to put in the pack I carried. I wore it at some point almost every day of the trip. Here is a link to the one I purchased. https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women-ultra-light-down-jacket-400711.html?dwvar_400711_color=COL18&dwvar_400711_size=SMA003&cgid=women-ultra-light-down-collection#start=12&cgid=women-ultra-light-down-collection

Great trip, we loved it!!
  • Options
    Yes, that’s what we take with us!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file