Options

Kenya State Dept warnings

Any concerns about Kenya travel based on recent US State Dept warnings? How is safari security? Does anyone know what type of aircraft are used to transport on- safari travelers?

Comments

• Options
    We are booked on Classic Safari in May; and we, too, have been concerned with the situation in Kenya. However, most of the problems are on the Kenya/Somalia border which is not close to the places we will visit. We feel confident that Tauck is monitoring the situation and will make itinerary changes, if necessary. In Nairobi, we will be advised to stay in the hotel until it is time to go to the airport.

As far as the airplanes are concerned, we looked at the photos from previous travelers (see other postings in this forum) and the planes look quite substantial.

Hopefully the greatest danger to us on this trip will be overeating!!
  • Options
    Mcooper's question is a valid one. We left for Tanzania / Kenya on January 19, 2012. We, too, were concerned. I asked our travel agent to check with Tauck. We were told they monitor the situation constantly everywhere they have tours. If itinerary changes need to be made they will do so. Tauck, of course, can speak for itself.

I read the Daily Nation and allafrica.com newspapers to stay current with developments in Kenya and Tanzania before we left. I communicated with the U.S. Ambassador and our Consul General in Nairobi. I was told "we cannot recommend you travel to Kenya at this time". In other words, there was ere no "Do Not Travel Alert" but you need to exercise reasonable caution. Before leaving, I registered us with the U.S. State Department (Travel.State.gov) so we would be notified of any dangers / problems. At that point, I felt we had done all reasonable people could do and we resolved to enjoy ourselves.

It was a good decision. Our Tauck Tour Director was in total control. She had contacts at every stop along our journey and knew what was happening before we arrived. We never had a problem.

The in-country flights we took were a joy. The flights were on time and without mechanical problems. Frankly, our charter aircraft and Air Kenya were alot more reliable than either Delta or KLM.

We prepared a blog when we returned that has considerable information on our flights if you are interested...

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/leomcyr/1/1326885220/pod.html

Have a great time...I assure you this will be the trip of your life. We are already thinking of taking the trip again...and we've only been home a month. Enjoy!

Leo M
  • Options
    Hi Mcooper,

Ilene in Fla and Leo M comments are completely on point. If you are curious about the trip please do check out Leo M's Travelpod blog. Lots of great feedback, tips, and pictures galore.

The State Department has had a travel warning in place for many years now. The violence is aimed at Kenyan citizens typically in Nairobi in retaliation for Kenya cracking down on the terrorist organization Al Shabaab from neighboring Somalia. The violence is not targeted at tourists. There have also been some kidnappings of tourists close to the Somalia border. Our tours do not go anywhere near the Somalia border. The National Parks we visit and the hotel we utilize in Nairobi are quite secure with gates and security on premises at all times. We have had no issues with our groups in Kenya since the start of this tour 6 years ago.

While on tour the group flys on twin otter, Dash 7 or Dash 8 planes. Which aircraft the group flys depends on the length of the airstrip and the number of guests on the specific departure date.

Hope this helps,
    Emily

This discussion has been closed.