vaccinations

Going on Elegant Adventure May 10, 2018. What medical precautions has anyone taken?

Comments

• See your travel dr
  • My doc recommended Malarone for Malaria prevention. Requires a prescription but is not too expensive and only 1 a day for a week following exposure. Suggest you ask you doc for recommendation.
  • jimandjane wrote:
    My doc recommended Malarone for Malaria prevention. Requires a prescription but is not too expensive and only 1 a day for a week following exposure. Suggest you ask you doc for recommendation.

Oh dear, exposure to what? You have to begin the meds before you arrive at your destination. Is gkp up to date with tdap, polio, Hep A, Hep B, flu shot, pneumonia shot, tetanus, Shingles and so on, we don't know, we don't know their medical history and anyway it is too late for some of these shots to be given as some are more than one shot over several months, it's too late with just three weeks to go. Tauck recommend you see your Dr a minimum of six weeks before departure.
  • So, many years ago my husband and I and two other couples took Tauck's Tanzania trip. We did not take Malarone. We took the recommendation of someone who is a doctor, but who did not specialize in travel or infectious diseases. One of the people came down a few days after our trip with the symptoms and tested positive for falciparum type malaria. Luckily, we live near a lot of retired Vietnam vets and the pathologist recognized the slides right away and they were able to get quick treatment. No repeat episodes for that type. SO - they say in S. Africa you don't really need to and I haven't looked up Zimbabwe on the CDC site yet - BUT each of you should consult a travel doctor just to be certain about what they recommend for YOU. Despite many trips since and before - that trip is still my husband's #1 best trip and last year, it was supplanted for me by the three week India Tauck tour.

We are scheduled for this trip next uUly 2019.
  • We did this trip last September. Most of the mosquitoes we encountered were in Victoria Falls. We did take Malarone as prescribed by our local Travel Health Clinic and got our immunizations up to date. The Malarone daily dose began a few days before going to Kruger and for the prescribed days after departing Victoria Falls. It's best to get the most up to date information from your physician.
  • Ashed, did the Malarone make you sick? Infectious disease doc said it’s the best for malaria but warned it could cause stomach upset. Also said take with food in a.m. if you want alcohol at night.
  • sweenpc wrote:
    Ashed, did the Malarone make you sick? Infectious disease doc said it’s the best for malaria but warned it could cause stomach upset. Also said take with food in a.m. if you want alcohol at night.

We have taken Malarone numerous times and always take it right in the middle of our breakfast meal and have never had issues.
  • sweenpc wrote:
    Ashed, did the Malarone make you sick? Infectious disease doc said it’s the best for malaria but warned it could cause stomach upset. Also said take with food in a.m. if you want alcohol at night.

We both took it with food and had no issues. To stay on a once every 24 hour cycle we took it with breakfast in South Africa and Zimbabwe, and then with dinner when we returned to the US. Having an upset stomach is certainly one of the side effects and lucky for us we did not experience it at all.