Big Island Volcano Eruptions Impact?

What is the impact of the Kīlauea volcano eruptions on the Tauck itinerary for the Best of Hawaii trip for May 22? The Tauck rep said there was no change when I called on May 11. But the Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island has been closed. An update from Tauck would be helpful.

Comments

• Since the eruption changes from day to day, it is unlikely that Tauck will respond with a definite reply. Rest assured that based on my experience with Tauck they are monitoring the situation and making alternate plans as needed. Short of a major ash cloud that grounds air traffic (not expected at this time), the trip will go and you will go to the big island. Except for the trip to volcanos park, your itinerary is centered on the west side of the island, away from the volcano. So other than some vog (volcanic fog) and no trip to the park, you are unlikely to be affected too much. My guess is that they will arrange some other activity to substitute for the trip to the park. I hope you signed up for the helicopter ride, that is likely to be spectacular (it always is, but the volcanic activity should make it outstanding).
  • edited May 2018
    I just wanted to note that when I was on the tour a few years ago, I took several helicopter tours over kauai and maui. I had also planned to helicopter over the Big Island, too. However, the volcano was active enough then where it was impossible to take a helicopter flight over it then. I tried several times during the day we were there, but each time the helicopter flight was cancelled due to winds blowing in the wrong direction from the volcano. So I would not count on doing any helicopter flying there then. If one really wants to do so, then take one of those boat trips around the island to see the volcano as apparently that is not a problem if one does it from the sea front.
  • edited May 2018
    tomh wrote:
    I just wanted to note that when I was on the tour a few years ago, I took several helicopter tours over kauai and maui. I had also planned to helicopter over the Big Island, too. However, the volcano was active enough then where it was impossible to take a helicopter flight over it then. I tried several times during the day we were there, but each time the helicopter flight was cancelled due to winds blowing in the wrong direction from the volcano. So I would not count on doing any helicopter flying there then. If one really wants to do so, then take one of those boat trips around the island to see the volcano as apparently that is not a problem if one does it from the sea front.

Another problem with helos and aircraft- the engines (and other parts of the aircraft) don't take kindly to the high sulfur and ash (even really fine, nearly invisible stuff) content of the air around volcanoes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file