Options

back packs at the eiffel tower

Does anyone know if backpacks are permitted at the Eiffel Tower and in the Restaurant 58? I can't seem to find an answer. Mine is a regular book bag and not a camping bag or any oversized suitcase. Thank you in advance for your help. We will be on the October 11 tour. Mickey

Comments

• Options
    You're right that it's hard to find a definitive answer. Closest I got was the info in the link below that talks about "oversized packets or baggage (at the discretion of the members of staff controlling visitors at the entrance to the Tower)" not being allowed and that there is "A gauge is supplied to visitors at the four corners of the parvis and at the security control in front of the Tower. The Eiffel tower does not have a left luggage room or cloakroom. Any object which is not accepted onto the Tower and put in a dustbin will be considered to have been lost." I assume by gauge they mean something similar to the thing airlines use to see if your carry on is too big.

https://www.toureiffel.paris/en/faq/spot/there-left-luggage-office

There will be a security check and supposedly the new bullet proof glass wall security perimeter was done last month.

In my experience - at Versailles, Paris museums, etc a normal small backpack should be ok but they will look into it. Mine is a very small 8"x14" with a single strap specially designed with anti theft features. Several times I was told to wear it in the front - probably a combination of protecting it from pick pockets and so I didn't inadvertently bang it into something fragile. If yours isn't the anti theft kind, be careful about anything valuable put in an outer pocket that would be easy to access. Paris pick pockets are everywhere.
  • Options
    In my experience leave the backpack. It is so crowded that the less you have on you the better. The crowds up on the tower are horrid. A backpack is a very easy target for pickpockets and with so many people in such a confined space you could be a very vulnerable target.
  • Options
    Most of the time for daily touring I take my small Pacsaf crossbody bag big enough for my phone, small amt of money, a credit, map, tissues, lip gloss, etc. The only time I take the slightly larger backpack is if I want a bottle of water and rain gear/umbrella. Otherwise, everything stays back at the hotel or ship's stateroom. I know most people have no run ins with pick pockets but my brother in law lost his wallet in Paris and a fellow traveler had his camera stolen in Switzerland.

Also, the big backpacks are a pain for everyone else. I've had all too many incidents of being hit or almost hit by someone wearing one bashing it into me - going down the aisle of the plane, standing in lines, etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file