Treasures of the Mediterranean

Hi:

My husband and I are thinking of taking this trip next year. Just wondering is it better to do the trip Northbound or Southbound. Any idea which month the Mediterranean would be the calmest.

Comments

• edited September 2018
    We are on the wishlist for 2020 Southbound. We always arrive early, and I think there is more to do around Monte Carlo than Malta. The Med is more of a lake than an ocean, so I don’t think it is very rough often. Luck of the draw.

Second thoughts. This is a sailboat. If you have ‘motion’ issues you may want to think about it.
  • edited September 2018
    Sealord wrote:
    We are on the wishlist for 2020 Southbound. We always arrive early, and I think there is more to do around Monte Carlo than Malta. The Med is more of a lake than an ocean, so I don’t think it is very rough often. Luck of the draw.

Second thoughts. This is a sailboat. If you have ‘motion’ issues you may want to think about it.

Except when it is not! I've seen water over the bow- of an aircraft carrier in the Med! : )
  • I’ve seen the same thing in the Gulf of Tonkin, but it is pretty unusual. The “Gulf” is also just a big lake ... most of the time. (;-). I get waves in my pool if I put enough kids in it.
  • Have to agree with "Sealord's" post on seasickness. You have to remember, it's a small sailing ship, not a floating hotel with 5000 of your best friends aboard!

We just returned from northbound trip. Some days fairly calm; others fairly rough. If there's any chance you may have seasickness issues, I suggest you bring meds with you.

Also, something many on our trip "missed". The brochure makes it appear the "upgraded" cabins are larger- THEY ARE NOT! Those who can read saw that the brochure also says all cabins are about the same size. And, if you google the ship there's a website that indicates all cabins range from about 120 - 145 square feet.
  • edited October 2018
    jeffr775 wrote:
    And, if you google the ship there's a website that indicates all cabins range from about 120 - 145 square feet.

That is really cozy- smaller than the size of the smallest (Cat 1) cabin on Tauck's river boats!
  • I guess you have to be a crewmember to know how ‘little’ each stateroom is. Their website clearly states that the Antigua staterooms are not bigger than the Marie Gallant staterooms. It also states that the Antigua staterooms are 12 sq meters and the Marie Gallant staterooms are 10 sq meters? It must be a French’ thing. In any case our group booked three of the five Antigua rooms for our 2020 cruise. We do recognize that those rooms are a bit like the terrace suites on Silver Shadow.The deck outside is a public area so you need to manage the curtains. When we were on our ‘terrace’ on Silver Shadow I took a picture of my wife while whale watching. That had another couple on the terrace running for cover ... too late .. too funny. They may have been married but I’m guessing not to each other. Do they have windows or portholes?
  • We were in cabin #3 on the Antigua deck and it had a small window, right next to the door.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file