Options

Tanzania and Kenya in August

My husband and I are traveling to this region for the safara on 8/26 and would love to converse with
fellow travelers. We are leaving from the San Diego area of CA. This is our dream vacation and we
are very excited. How do we pack for this time of year?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Hello lynnewa,

This is a casual tour. Comfortable and casual clothing is recommended while on this itinerary. For daytime and evening wear, including the Welcome and Farewell receptions
    and dinners, casual dress is recommended. Formal attire is not required. Generally, during the day, lightweight cotton shirts, skirts, pants, and shorts are sufficient. A light
    jacket, fleece, or windbreaker, as well as layers of clothing are suggested, for cooler temperatures during early morning game drives and evenings. While on safari it is recommended you wear natural earth-colored clothing, such as khakis, tans, browns, and greens, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sneakers. It is also a good idea to bring a swimsuit, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, and lip protection. Game drives can be dusty, so wear something that can be washed while on tour. Dry cleaning service is not available; however, the hotels and lodges we stay in throughout the safari portion of our itinerary, have valet laundry and pressing available for an additional charge.

We also suggest bringing a good pair of binoculars to optimize your wildlife viewing.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    Lynnewa: My husband I are going on the "Classic" with a departure date of 8/25. I assume that's the same one that you. As previous Tauck travelers (This is own 6th Tauck tour), we have an extra day and arrive in Tanzania on the 24th. We have been planning this trip for so long that we decided to pack well in advance. So, with almost 2 weeks to go, we have our luggage out and will be filling them up on Sunday. My biggest concern is having warm enough closing, without overpacking. What feedback have you gotten?
    -Geodrey
  • Options
    Hi Geodrey,
    We returned from this safari in July. Because everyone's personal thermometer is different, layering is the best advice to prepare. (One woman and man on the trip wore t-shirts and shorts and seem totally comfortable while another woman wore a heavy jacket and was freezing the whole time.) The temperatures really vary because of different altitudes, it warms up and then cools down during the day, and the Land Rover's roof pops-up when on a game drive and it was frequently windy.
    In the higher altitudes on the morning game drives, my husband wore a long sleeve t-shirt under a Columbia long sleeve shirt and a travel vest on top and long pants. He was quite comfortable. I wore a long sleeve knit top, summer weight sweater and a lightweight jacket and long pants.
    We over-packed trying to prepare for any kind of weather and it was over-kill. We ended up using the hotel's laundry service because the t-shirt +shirt or sweater combo + a jacket worked the best. My husband did have a pair of zip-off to short pants and wore them as shorts a couple of times when we returned to the lodges. Although a couple of women wore capris, I never wore the ones I packed.
    It is an incredible experience. I was personally very glad that I brought good binoculars and a super-zoom point and shoot camera. I'm not a photographer by any stretch, but our friends cannot believe the awesome pictures I took. My husband was in charge of the regular point and shoot camera and the little Flip video. We have great video.
    I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Lynnewa - looks like I will be on the same trip as you and your husband - my friend and I are coming in two days ahead of time from the Los Angeles area. We'll look forward to meeting you. My dream vacation as well.
    Cele
This discussion has been closed.