Cholera

Has anyone taken the vaccine to prevent Cholera for India ?

Answers

• edited August 6

No. Cholera is transmitted through contaminated food or water. While outbreaks in India are not unheard of, you are extremely unlikely to contract it drinking bottled water and eating the on-tour food. Outbreaks are usually limited and occur due to things like monsoon flooding or contaminated rural wells. See CDC.gov for more information or talk to your doctor or a travel vaccine center.

• Thanks Ken. I really did not want to take it but the travel dr. is the one who recommended it.

• These are the guidelines a Travel Dr, should be able to see on the CDC, It is not what the public sees.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/diseases/cholera

The guidelines are obvious that you do not require the vaccine. Allthough I always suggest seeing a travel Dr. from my own experience I found years ago that some of them have never been out of the US and are pretty ignorant about the realities of other countries. I still maintain that doing lots of personal research about these things is a must before you see a doctor. Just like you would research before buying s new car.