Options

toiletries for Kenya and Tanzania

Hi There,

I am traveling on the May 5th trip (just around the corner!!!) and am planning on packing through the weekend. Since our weight restrictions are rather strict for a longer vacation (plus we're going to Spain after Africa), I'm wondering if we need to take toiletries such as shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, deoderant, etc with us, or if they will be available to purchase at hotels or even at the Kiliminjaro airport. I'm trying to eliminate any extra weight I can, since I am already an overpacker and love shoes!

Also, if anyone has packing suggestions for things one would not normally think to bring or is not on the packing list, they will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Margaux

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Hi! We're on the May 19 trip, and we are starting to shop for the same things. We are also spending a few nights in Europe before Africa and after Africa.

I wrote to someone who took that trip last year, and she told me that all the lodges have shampoo and conditioner in the bathrooms. For all the other items, I go to Bed Bath & Beyond which has a huge variety of small travel sizes of hairspray, deodorant, etc. Our CVS also has a good selection.

Another item I bring is a box of the individual packets of Crystal Light in various flavors because bottled water gets boring after awhile. You just pour the dried granules into the bottle of water.

I read in someone's blog that it is helpful to bring a scarf or something to put over your face if it is very dusty or buggy. I practiced tying a scarf, but it kept falling down! Doing internet research, I found a buff that is treated with bug repellent that you wear around your neck and can pull up to your face if needed. I bought them in a fishing store in my neighborhood. Hopefully it won't be too dusty because we are going during rainy season.

I hope some of this info is helpful to you. Have a great trip! We'll be right behind you!

Ilene

• Options
    Thanks Ilene! That info is very helpful. It sounds like we can skip the shampoo and conditioner then. And yes, I am planning on going to my local REI to get a neck gator this weekend. I wouldn't dare travel to Africa during the rainy season without one!

You have a wonderful trip too! Thanks so much!
This discussion has been closed.