Today I was thinking ahead about our XMAS Mkts cruise on the Rhine which is a loooong way off because there are no XMAS Mkts cruises in 2021, they don't start again until December 2022- in 568 days for us!
As many already know, the southbound and northbound XMAS Mkts cruises start and end respectively in Dusseldorf, not Cologne like in previous years.
Anyway, I was wondering where the boats dock in Dusseldorf, how far it is to the airport, etc. Awhile ago I discovered I could often get a good idea where the boats dock by looking at the riverfront on Google Maps satellite view and looking for river boats. I didn't see any boats in the current satellite view, but I learned the boats dock along the east bank for quite a distance both north and south of the Altstadt (Old city) as I suspected .
How did I "learn" this? Well, I clicked on the Rhine embankment promenade photo spot (see at this link) near the Maritime Museum tower and look what appeared as the fourth photo!
It is MS Treasures, one of the Tauck branded boats subsequently transferred by Scylla to VIVA Cruises (the photo was taken Nov 2019 so the boat hasn't been repainted yet and is still sporting the Tauck compass rose.) For those who remember the forum posts by me and terrilynn back in Jan/Feb, when Tauck (prematurely?) cancelled the 2021 Rhine XMAS Markets cruises, check out the VIVA banner in the side view photo of Treasures. The bow of the MS Esprit, which is moored aft of Treasures, is just visible at the far right of the thumbnail photo.


