Options

Rijksmuseum

I get regular emails from this museum and this morning’s it confirms that the renovation of The Night Watchmen painting are complete! This is a wonderful museum to visit when you are visiting Amsterdam and a good place for lunch and souvenirs

Comments

• Options

Yes, a magnificent museum. Equally magnificent is Rembrandt's The Night Watch.

• Options

I have found that some of the best shopping can occur in museum gift shops, my favorite being The Guggenheim in Bilbao, Spain.

• Options

Thanks for your correction kfn…

• Options

No worries. You are quite welcome.

• Options

Interesting! I was at the Riksmuseum in July 2023 and Rembrandt's, The Night Watch painting was still behind scaffolding. You could see the painting, but you had to view it through the scaffolding. There's a smaller photo of the painting on the left wall or that room that tells you the story behind the restoration and why it's being done.

• Options

One must look up on Google or anywhere else, a reputable analysis of that painting. It is very interesting. We had the very best museum guide in that museum giving an in depth explanation about these paintings. I was fascinated and listened how passionate this particular guide was. I wished I asked for her name at the time. Fabulous museum.

• Options

I was there in Dec 2023. The repair/research/renovation project will last years. The major repair has been completed. I believe that might be what British referenced in her Jun 2021 post. They are painstakingly removing the varnish which resulted in the painting getting darker and darker through time. Because the painting is behind glass, it is somewhat obscured but it is still very much a delight to view. I do not know the estimated completion date. I don't think the museum knows either.