Share private guide

We are taking the above river cruise on 5/13/22
and would like to share a private guide for a trip to the Cotswolds on 5/12/22 and a guide in Paris on 5/24 or 5/25/22. Please reach out if interested.

Comments

• edited July 2021

The Cotswolds are a huge area of Britain.The area can’t be and shouldn’t be just a day trip, it’s about three hours to drive to the general area from London. If you have never been to London, may I suggest doing more site seeing in London. There are weeks’s worth of things to see there….or maybe visiting somewhere like Hampton Court for the day, it would be just lovely there in May.

Also check this website out. https://www.visitbritain.com/gb/en/england/central-england/cotswolds

• For those of us who aren't from England, and are pressed for time, a day trip to the Cotswolds is a good way to get a feel for the area. I love walking tours, my all-time favorite being London Walks (walks.com). In addition to trips within London (or, through their their sister company, Paris), they offer one-day trips outside the city that change regularly once or twice a week. I took a day trip from London to the Cotswolds with them a couple of years ago. We met at Paddington Station, and proceeded from there. I'm very glad I did it. I encourage you to see what you can of the Cotswolds, and don't worry about not seeing it all. And I agree with British that Hampton Court is a great day visit from "downtown" London. It's about an hour from Charing Cross Station. I had the best breakfast -- a bacon roll - from a kiosk at the Hampton Court train station.

• edited July 2021

I apologize for the slight digression, but I recently saw a Rick Steves PBS segment on the Cotswolds. It was, in my opinion, one of his best segments. He walked from one farm/estate (I am sure those are not the correct terms) to another and was always so very mindful and respectful to close the gates as he passed through each area. I loved it so much that I made another contribution to support our local PBS station. My exposure to Britain has only been Heathrow. Shame on me!

Thanks, British and MCD, for your suggestions.

• edited July 2021

England has public footpaths and ‘rights of way’ all over that entitle you to walk on farmland. You must of course close gates and not mess with the animals. Instead of gates, there are often stiles to negotiate. Being a member of a Rambling Club is a common hobby, walkers congregate in big groups and take a hike, often stopping for a pub lunch.
    I still think you can get very little out of a day trip to the 800 sq miles of the Cotswolds. Why not arrive several days early, go there and stay in the area before a Tauck tour, get over jet lag and relax.

• edited July 2021

I agree with British. One day will not do the Cotswolds justice. I have cousins that live in a nearby village and have had the opportunity to visit the Cotswolds several times. Here are some pics from Bibury, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Bourton-on-the-water.
    Bibury

Bibury

Stow-on-the-Wold

Bourton-on-the-Water

• Thank you to all for the helpful comments and photos

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file