Options

Alan, the Carnac of all things GEM.

Have been waiting patiently ( or not so) to return to Egypt. Could you please post the most 'reliable' resource for staying updated on possible-maybe-sorta opening of the GEM. I apologize if you have posted this in the past.
Thinking about April 2023, which like all things, is subject to change.

Comments

• Options

Grandmas
    March 2 in Egypt: Jewels Along the Nile
    Have been waiting patiently ( or not so) to return to Egypt. Could you please post the most 'reliable' resource for staying updated on possible-maybe-sorta opening of the GEM. I apologize if you have posted this in the past.
    Thinking about April 2023, which like all things, is subject to change.

There is not one good/reliable source that I have found. There is an official GEM website containing almost no information and it hasn't been updated (that may change) . There is another website that initially appears to be official, but it is not (says it isn't in the small print).

I just use a stored Google search (just a bookmark), "Grand Egyptian Museum" then further refine it for "News." I had been running the search every week or so when it looked like it might be open for our J&E trip this month but it is not to be. Hints and casual remarks by various people in the know and government officials indicate it will open on 4 November 2022 on the 100th anniversary of the discovery of Tutankhamum's tomb by Howard Carter. The government is planning a really big opening ceremony and will invite presidents, high government officials, etc. from around the world- so these busy officials can fit it into their calendars, the official announcement should be made sometime this summer. It should be open by April 2023. Inshallah.

Here is a link to 2 day old article that mentions 4 Nov. https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2022/03/01/grand-egyptian-museum-in-cairo-99percent-ready-as-designers-promise-theatrical-tutankhamun-gallery

A regular search is also a good way to try to keep up with all the new discoveries regularly occurring all over Egypt.

• Options

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file