Wheelchair or walker

My husband is a slow walker and gets tired. Can we bring/rent wheelchair or walker with wheels? I am his wife and quite able to push him.

Comments

• This is a question I would take directly to Tauck. Depending on your husband's level of mobility, give serious thought also to the number of times that one must climb on and off the bus and the height of those steps. I travelled with a person with walking issues for many years and it was getting on and off the bus that was the thing that finally put an end to tours.

• edited April 2022

It will say somewhere on the tour webpages, but I believe, most if not all Tauck tours and destinations can not accommodate wheel chairs or walkers with wheels. Tauck tours are active tours, typically requiring considerable walking, often on rough or uneven surfaces and stairs. Some years ago, a person on our Tauck New England land tour arrived with a 3-toed cane and a walker which was stowed under the bus. She was a solo and required significant assistance from the bus driver, TD, and fellow travelers.

This what the info for this tour states:

"MOBILITY

Southern Charms: Savannah,Charleston & Hilton Head tour is relaxed and the pace is leisurely. To enjoy this tour, you should be in good health and able to walk reasonable distances, often over unpaved and uneven surfaces. Some of the most memorable sightseeing can only be accomplished on foot. The amount of walking you do, however, is at your discretion. Some of the historic homes and plantations we visit are centuries old and have been preserved in their natural setting. The motor coaches are not always allowed to drive directly to the front entrance. Some of the excursions involve a considerable amount of walking and many steps. A few of the historic sites that we visit are not wheelchair accessible.

PLEASE NOTE: We regret that we're unable to provide individual assistance to guests with walking difficulties or other personal needs. The responsibility of the Tauck Director who accompanies your trip is to ensure that the larger group enjoys a relaxing and informative journey, and he or she cannot be relied upon to provide ongoing individual assistance to any one guest. Guests requiring such individualized assistance must be accompanied by an able-bodied companion who can provide it."

I think you need to carefully read the tour description and if you have questions, give Tauck a call. If not Tauck, I'm sure you will be able to find a provider of the type of tour you and your husband require.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file