May 27, 2022 South Africa: An Elegant Adventure

Greetings! Anyone else on this tour? I am so looking forward to it, and wondering if anyone else is traveling as a single. Also interested in any travel or packing tips to share. Bonnie

Comments

• I am wondering how many people opt for a doctor's note rather than getting the Yellow Fever vac for the Kenya trip. I take monthly immunosuppressant vaccines so I am worried my reaction to this "live" vaccine, and whether I should go for a doctor's note instead. I am 76 years old.

• Talk to your doctor.

• You have posted this on the South Africa forum

• edited May 2022

You need more than a note from your doctor. You need a travel doctor to fill out the yellow international vaccine card and under contraindications fill it out for the yellow fever vaccine. Doctor also should write a letter on his letterhead giving a reason for the contraindication. Kenya should accept this, but there is no guarantee. It worked for me and my husband.

• It's best to have this conversation with your doctor Jenniferalex. I will say that I am 76, immunosuppressed due to radiation treatments for breast cancer, and had the YF vaccine in early March after having consulted with my primary care doctor. I did have some reaction to the vaccine but it wasn't bad. I actually had a friend staying with me for a couple of days and took advantage of her being here to make certain if I did have any major reaction there was someone monitoring me. We laughed about it because the reaction was so mild.

I was very hesitant to get the vaccine but also did not want to fly all that way only to be refused entry at the border because some new agent is really gung ho about doing his/her job. Also, there has been a recent outbreak of YF in eastern Africa and I just felt more comfortable knowing that I had the shot.

Again, it's up to each individual and their physician to determine what is the best option for you. I wish you good luck and good health.