Options

luggage

My daughter and I will be on the June 23rd Tanzania/Kenya classic safari and I am bit confused about luggage limitations. I have 1 checked average-sized bag (50 lbs. or less), a smallish carry-on 12x13x20", and a backpack-sized camera bag. The carry-on is duffel shaped and has recessed wheels. Will this meet the limitations needed by Tauck?

16 days and counting. We are so excited.

Thank you
Wild Things

Comments

• Options
    Hello Wild Thing,

The luggage you have will be fine.

Additionally, Tauck will be supplying you with a special duffel bag that you must use on your safari journey. On safari, strict limitations on our on-tour flights require that guests take a maximum of one piece of checked luggage (weighing no more than 33 lbs.) per person. If you reside in the United States, the duffel bag will be sent to your home and should arrive approximately two weeks prior to your departure for Africa. Guests residing outside the U.S. will receive their duffel bags upon arrival. You will have time to pack your duffel during the first two days of the safari.

I hope this helps a bit. Have a great time!
    Emily
  • Options
    dear wild thing

I am going end of september

please post how the trip was

also, let me know what to bring as gifts for the school kids
    I hear they need school supplies
    but I may also bring soccer balls

just let me know what I should bring for them

thank you
  • Options
    Hello

My name is Marty and I am also going on the June 23 Safari. I will be arriving in Arusha on the 21st of June to have some extra days.

I am also so excited about this trip and can't wait till I get there. I hope you have a safe flight and I am looking forward
    To meeting all my fellow travelers.

Marty
  • Options
    I am on the 7/21 trip to Kenya and Tanzania and I received my duffle bag yesterday. Is it possible to use it as your checked luggage, if it weighs no more than 33 lbs or is that not a good idea?
  • Options
    Leona,
    No, Tauck advises that you remove the duffel bag they sent you from the bag it came in, flatten it out and pack it, empty in your checked luggage. The duffel is to be used on the two overnight safari trips we will be doing. While your larger luggage is forwarded and stored at our next destination. There are some items you should not put in checked luggage so you need a carry on and I know personally I could not stay at 33 lbs. for a 13 day trip. This will also give you an extra bag to put purchased items in during your return trip.

Perhaps the Tauck representative can explain it more clearly than I can.

Probably see you there.

Wild Thing
  • Options
    Thank you, Wild Thing for your input. Will follow it.
  • Options
    I too am on the 6/23 trip with husband and daughter, arriving a day early in Arusha. I try and travel light and just packed. I am able to get everything in the duffle and have this be under 33 lbs. I am also taking a school sized back-pack and hope that I can use these all for carry-on and avoid risk of luggage getting delayed or lost. The duffle will be the carryon suitcase and the pack my personal item. If I read KLM's baggage rules correctly, this should work.

Ruth
  • Options
    We are on the September 8 safari and I wonder as well if it is possible to simply pack the Tauck duffle as your only bag along with your backpack which would carry your medications? Is it really necessary to bring an additional bag?
    Thanks,
    Kay
  • Options
    Kay -

YES - the Tauck duffle is so roomy that we could have used it for the entire trip. However, we needed more clothing for stops in Europe before and after the Tauck tour, so we took larger bags.

You can really do this trip with 3 pair of pants, 3 shirts, and a sweatshirt or sweater. But since we had to pack additional clothes suitable for Europe, we had some nicer outfits, so we changed for dinner at the two fancier hotels - Mt. Kenya Safari Club and Bilila Lodge. The laundry service in the hotels is fast, good, and inexpensive, so when clothing got really dirty, we sent it out.

Keep the backpack with you on the safari vehicles at all times. You constantly need sunblock, insect repellent, extra camera batteries, memory cards, wet-naps, toilet paper, tissues, snacks, medications and definitely bring PURELL. For example, the children at the school all have runny noses, and they want to touch you and shake your hand.

Please ask any other questions you may have.

Ilene
  • Options
    Ilene,

Thank you for the fast response. Glad to hear that we could get by with only the duffle and backpack.

When did you go on Safari? We are all so excited!

Happy 4th!!
  • Options
    Hi Kay -

You're welcome! We were on the May 19 safari. There aren't enough adjectives to say how fantastic it was!

Ilene
  • Options
    Hi Ilene -

On the last day when you returned to Nairobi did you have your own room at the hotel? Did you use the lounge at the airport prior to your flight? I am assuming you flew KLM?

Thanks,
    Kay
  • Options
    Kay - I know I answered you in an E-mail, but I'm posting this in case anyone else is interested in the answer!

We had lovely guest rooms at the Nairobi Serena to shower, repack, and recharge for the night flight. Large buffets for lunch and dinner. Great hotel!

Nairobi Airport was very third world. Very antiquated. We waited in ugly hot lounge. Couldn't wait to get on the plane! We flew coach so I don't know if there was a first-class lounge!

We flew from Palm Beach to Atlanta to Amsterdam on KLM and spent 2 great days in Amsterdam. The KLM daytime flight from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro was excellent. On the way home, we flew from Nairobi to Paris, stayed 3 days, and then flew Paris to Miami on Air France. Breaking up the flying this way was a good decision.

Ilene
  • Options
    My wife and I are going on the September 19th tour. We are from Greensboro, NC and will be going a day earlier and will be flying from Greensboro to Atlanta to Amsterdam to Arusha. Anyone going on the same tour. This is our third tour with Tauck and can't wait to see if this one tops the other ones. It's time to get excited
  • Options
    Dear Pharmacist: Wherever else you've been with Tauck, this trip will definitely TOP it. Get ready for the experience of your life!
  • Options
    Dear Pharmacist,
    My husband and I are on the September 19 trip. we are really excited. We are from southern California, near LA. can contact us directly Kristayach@verizon.net.also.
  • Options
    Hi, everyone
    I'm going on the Sept. 26 safari out of Arusha and can't wait. Is there anyone else booked on that one?
This discussion has been closed.