February 5, 2023 tour

We were originally booked for February 2020, rescheduled to February 5, 2023, and we're really hoping it'll be a go. We'll be arriving on 2/6 so there won't be time for a Halong Bay day trip. But, we'd like to book a trip to Ayutthaya from Bangkok either the day the tour ends or the day after. We depart on 2/25. Anyone interested? There was a post a couple of years ago that recommended booking through Viator; I'll look into it but if anyone has any other suggestion, please let me know. Thanks!

Comments

• Just asked our agent to change flights so we can arrange a visit to Ha Long Bay pre-tour. Hope it works!

• We plan to do the Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand tour in 2024. My travel agent did some checking and there are companies that offer a cruise for Ha Long Bay. They will pick you up at the airport, take you to their ship on the bay, and then take you to your hotel in Hanoi on completion of the cruise. There are a lot of companies so you can find one that fits your schedule.

It would be nice if Tauck offered a Junk cruise on Ha Long Bay as a pre-trip extension.

I'm looking forward to that tour. I served in Vietnam from 1970 to 1971 and haven't been back since. I'm sure it's changed a lot.

• We went to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in 2016 and loved it! We went early and did a day trip to Halong Bay...the opportunity Mike described wasn't offered then...we could have spent a night on a boat but opted to do the day excursion. We still talk about the Four Seasons Chang Mai...quite the gorgeous resort and so unique. Truly, this trip is full of fabulous experiences everywhere! Hoping SE Asia is a go for next year. We are hoping Singapore will indeed happen next year too.

• It’s such a shame that Tauck dropped their Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos tour because that included an overnight on a boat on Halong Bay, a visit to a floating village and a collapsed cave that a small boat entered where we saw lots of monkeys. If I recall, it is about a three hour drive from Hanoi, but a very interesting one for scenery. I heard they stopped the tour because people did not have much choice for flights from Laos. We went about five years ago and that was not the case for us. Laos was actually our favorite country of the three. We would love to do the tour that inclides Thailand.

• I've been doing some research on Ha Long Bay cruises. If you're interested in a very small boat, it looks like you can take a private junk cruise (just one bedroom) or one with maybe two bedrooms (if you're traveling with friends). Otherwise, there are large junks, which are really cruise boats dressed up to somewhat look like a junk.
    I sent a request for pricing for a private (one bedroom) junk and will post later on what the cost is.

• In 2019, we went on this trip and took an overnight tour from Hanoi to Halong Bay. Very memorable side trip. There were maybe 6 overnight rooms on the boat and included a cave tour, kayaking, transportation and meals, including a demonstration/contest on making spring rolls. The bus picked us up at our hotel and had a stop on the way at a pearl farm. Well worth it.

• Just to follow-up on my previous post: I received a quote from a company in Ha Long Bay that has a variety of sizes of Junks. For a private junk, two days, one night, the price quoted was $757 (for two people). Transfer from/to the Hanoi airport (or hotel) to/from Ha Long Bay by private car, with driver was quoted as $130 each way. This was for 2024 when we're planning to do the Tauck tour.

So, about $1,000 plus tips. We'll probably add one night and stay at a hotel in Ha Long before the junk cruise - because of travel fatigue and not arriving early enough for the junk cruise. Hotels in Ha Long are pretty cheap, lots listed for about $100/night.

If you don't want a private cruise, the charges for a cabin on a larger junk are quite a bit less. I didn't ask for a quote, but you can search and find prices.

• I’m on the March 3, 2023 departure, traveling alone. I shall look into an overnight junk trip on Halong Bay! Sounds terrific!

• Shelley Fleet
    I’m on the March 3, 2023 departure, traveling alone. I shall look into an overnight junk trip on Halong Bay! Sounds terrific!

Just FYI, I got that quote from IndoChina Junk. I have no relationship with them except that I got that quote from them. I'm sure there are other junk cruise companies in that area.

• ThanksMikeHenderson

• Anyone booked on the March3 2023 trip?

• The mention of Halong Bay makes me smile remembering a memorable trip in that bay, cruising onboard the Emeraude, watching the movie Indochine in French with English subtitles, and kayaking next to those incredible karst formations. Regardless of which boat you take there, do try to find that movie!

• edited October 2022

I'll second the recommendation for the movie "Indochine". Catherine Deneuve is the lead actor. It's not a perfect movie but is very good, especially if you're going to Vietnam. To better understand the movie, it's a good idea to read a bit about the history of the French in Vietnam. But even if you don't know the history, you can enjoy the movie.
    [Update - here's a Wikipedia article about the French in Indochina. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Indochina ]

[Update2 - If you're a military history buff, read the book "Hell in a Very Small Place" about the battle of Dien Bien Phu, where the Vietnamese defeated the French. This led to the withdrawal of the French from Vietnam and the start of the American involvement. https://www.amazon.com/Hell-Very-Small-Place-Siege/dp/030681157X ]

• Is just a day cruise on Halong bay enough or is it worth an overnight trip?

• My husband and I took an overnight cruise and it was great because of the scenery that you have seen in photos forever. We also added two nights in Hanoi, just to walk around and see the local markets and way of life of the people who live there. It was terrific, safe, and they love Americans. Knock off shopping was good also. "Northface" kids puffy jackets for $10. They are actually made there but not allowed to sell the real thing.

• I did book an overnight cruise thru Indo China Junk! Looking forward to the trip! Reading a great book called The King Never Smiles, about the last 10 years of King Bhumibal’s reign. Banned inThailand!

• Will be on the 11 Jan, 2023 Tauck tour of Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Arival is several days earlier and have booked the overnight junk tour of Ha Long Bay with one of the better small tours. Picks you up in Hanoi and returns the next day mid afternoon in time to meet up with the Tauck welcome dinner. Will let you know what junk we used and how it went.

• We did this trip in 2019, and did Hong Kong before Hanoi. Very happy we did it then. We got to Hanoi a day early and did the Hanoi Jeep/ Backstreet Tour before the welcome dinner. It was one of the highlights of the entire trip. The concierge at the Metropole set it up for us. BTW - the Metropole is just a fabulous hotel. The Four Seasons in Chaing Mai is magical. These are two of our favorite hotels. You are in for a fabulous trip.

• If you get the chance, take the tour of the bunkers under the Metropole. The tour is open only to hotel guests (at least, that was the case in 2017).

• RSUSI— how was the Junk trip? I leave the states on 2/27. Schedules junk tour for 3/-2

• I watched Indochina last night! Wow! And Bridge over the River Kwai 2 nights ago— doing a few extra days in Bangkok including a day trip to the River Kwai

• ShelleyFleet, you will enjoy the River Kwai and all its history. Did it on the Eastern & Oriental Express, last trip before the pandemic. Have VCT booked for next February--still missed out on small group tour so will be taking the large group--just didn't want to put it off any longer.

If anyone has done day excursion to Ha Long Bay, I'd appreciate any feedback and recommendations. Wish Tauck included it.

• Just FYI, friends cruised Halong Bay and the pics I saw were wonderful. It reminded me of the Li River in China.

• Is "Indochina" a movie?

• edited February 2023

I'm guessing that she was referring to the movie Indochine with Catherine Deneuve. Probably a spell check problem.

• edited February 2023

Yes, it's a French movie with Catherine Deneuve in the lead. It's actually spelled "Indochine". Here's a link to Wikipedia about the movie.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indochine_(film)

If you like French movies it's quite good. If you're a fan of American movies it may not appeal to you.

Side note: If you're a fan of French movies look up the movie "Colonel Chabert", staring Gerard Depardieu. You'll understand why Depardieu was rated so highly as an actor.

Depardieu was also excellent in "The Return of Martin Guerre". Recommended.

• Yes, I meant Indochine, but spellcheck “ fixed” it for me! I just returned from the intense, fabulously interesting, yet grueling Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand trip! Absolutely amazing to relive the history of the Vietnam war! Touring the underground bunker in the Metropole Hotel, the Hanoi “Hilton” where The late John McCain was incarcerated, cruising along the Mekong Delta! Everyone should experience this trip!

I did an overnight junk trip from IndoChina Junks to Halong bay, and a Soviet style Jeep tour in Hanoi prior to the beginning of the Tauck tour. At the end of the trip I stayed several extra days. One day was a trip to the floating market outside of Bangkok, another was to visit the River Kwai, see the camps where the prisoners of war who worked on the railroad were kept hostage, rode o the death train, and visited the cemetery where thousands of the British and Australian troops are buried. I also learned that the only truthful part of the movie, Bridge over the River Kwai, is that the bridge is in Thailand! I booked thru Viatour which contracted through a Thai company, Asia Adventures. My guide picked me up promptly, explained all! Great Day! Next day I’d booked another Viatour trip( also subcontracted thru Asia Adventures! To Ayuttayah, the capital of Thailand, when it was called Siam! Another very interesting and educational
    Til Al day that I highly recommend. The lunch which was included was at a local restaurant where the food was absolutely, plentiful, outstanding , and very inexpensive.

My last day on Bangkok, I did an afternoon cooking class at the Blue Elephant restaurant, another highly recommended activity. I did an afternoon class because of my late night flight, but I’d recommend the morning class which includes a trip to the market for Thai ingredients! We made 4 dishes, each after watching the chef prepare it. At the end of the class we were invited into the restaurant to enjoy the food we’d made with rice and a glass of wine!

Enjoy your trips!

• Also, I highly recommend the Soviet style Jeep tour of Hanoi! Dynamite sightseeing, walking thru neighborhoods, markets, and having sticky rice balls, and drinking Vietnamese coffeeAt a railroad track cafe.

• If you’re interested in having clothes made, Peninsula Tailors, which is close to the Rosewood hotel, made clothes for me and several people on the tour. Everyone was extremely happy with the styling, quality, Timeliness and price!

One of the additional activities arranged by our local tour guid for 12 of us, was an evening at the Calypso Cabaret- great performances by an all transgender cast( don’t tell Governor deSanctimonious that I did this!)

• edited March 2023

@Shelley Fleet - thanks for the update on the Vietnam trip. We're going there next year. How did you set up the Soviet style Jeep tour? Did you do it in advance, or through the hotel.

Also, did you do a private junk overnight at Ha Long Bay, or one of the bigger junks?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file