Options

river rafting America's canyonlands- Glen canyon float trip- smooth sailing??

My husband will be 6 weeks out from shoulder surgery at the beginning of the tour. Dr said he could do most everything with sling on as long as there isn't a lot of bumping around like in whitewater rafting. Can anyone tell me if this is a smooth ride or more like white water where he will be jostled around and need to hold on with both arms? Any guidance will be appreciated! also wondering what the alternative is if we can't do this portion of the trip?

Comments

• Options

It is generally a very slow and smooth float down the river. There may be a couple of spots where you will go through a small downhill rapid and speed up slightly, but nothing extreme by any means.

• Options

Climbing down ot the river may need two hands for balance. The same for some of the walks. What about carrying your bags etc I’ve had rotator cuff surgery in the past.

• Options

One of the best Tauck trips we have taken! And the river raft trip was very mild. Toughest part will probably be getting into and out of the raft, especially when you stop to view the petroglyphs near the shoreline where the water is ice cold! And British is right about balance when walking over some of the uneven terrain.

• Options

Would a walking stick help on the way to the raft trip?

• Options

No, because where would you put the walking stick? I don’t think there would be room on the raft. Where you get on the raft, will not be the same place where you get off.

• Options

Patricia, May I add further comments. Please think about all aspects of a tour, such as climbing up and down the steps of a bus, balance on the trails etc etc. These are quite difficult to do with only one arm. I’ve had the surgery and I have been trained through my nursing career to teach people the best way to help do things or make maneuvers without damage or pain. Talk to your husband’s physical therapist and they will be able to help. Start a regime of walking upstairs,opening public bathroom doors and all those kind of things to see how easy//difficult it might be with one arm/hand restricted. I had an easy recovery with my surgery, but it is critical to not overdo it with the affected arm for quite a while so that the delicate surgery has time to heal internally. Consider taking the surgeon’s details of the surgery with you on the tour incase you have to see a doctor on the tour. You will find these in your online medical records.
    It is a great tour, we took it some time ago. Good luck with everything!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file