Options

July 7 Kenya & Tanzania Safari Questions

My husband and I are going on this trip. We received our duffles and our documents! I have read and reread every post on every forum!

We like to have a bit of local currency so my husband always orders it from the bank. We could get Kenyan Shillings but not Tanzanian Shillings. Numerous posts have indicated that USD are accepted everywhere. Does that include the Masaai village wares?

Do I understand correctly that when we transfer to duffles, our suitcase AND small carryon will be transported by other means? We would then travel on the smaller planes with their duffle and a personal item? My questions is really about my carryon- can it stay with me or does it go with the suitcase? Are there liquid restrictions when we convert to the duffles?

Do I need to buy a dual voltage power strip to handle multiple items that need charged- cameras, camcorder, netbook?

I realize that everyone is different, but I'd like to have some idea of how much incidentals cost. What is the typical cost of a beer or wine? The documents indicate that laundry service is nominal - what's nominal? Did prices fluctuate greatly on souvenirs? I am not fond of haggling so some idea of what a fair price is would be helpful. I am most interested in jewelry, bowls, fabric. Is there something you saw that you didn't purchase and now regret it?

I am confused about the weather. I realize it is their winter and there are higher altitudes. Our documents say pack hat, gloves and scarf along with a heavier jacket for mornings and evenings. That sounds colder than what the averages indicate 70/50 high and low.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Incidentally, we are traveling Pittsburgh/Detroit/Amsterdam/KIA.

Comments

• Options
    I was on this trip last Jan and you will have the time of your lives.

First, don't bother converting any money, there is no where to spend cash on the safari.All hotels/lodges take your credit cards, the the USD is taken at the Masai village. Only place I used local currency was in Amsterdam.

The duffle bag is the only thing that you will be allowed to take on the local planes. There are no customs, TSA screenings at all, so liquids are not a problem. Most of the airports are dirt in the middle of no where!

Won't hurt to bring a dual voltage power strip. Also, bring an extra memory card for your camera, you won't believe the amount of pictures you will be taking.

Laundry is very inexpensive, but I forgot what it exactly cost. The lodges even have special prices for safari outfits! There are no souvenirs worth talking about. What we bought was at the Masai village and it was very inexpensive. Drinks prices are nominal. You will have full days, and after dinner almost everyone called it a day.

We went in their summer and the weather was perfect...warm days, cool nights. Most lodges do not have AC; many even have fireplaces where many on our safari used.

Any further questions you can email me at rogfam@optonline.net

ENJOY!!!!
  • Options
    We are on the July 7th trip. I don't know about money for the Masaai village.

I was talking to a Tauck agent and she explained about the luggage. The duffle they send is for your 2 day
    trips. They will also do a carryon but she said we probably wouldn't need it. Soap, shampoo is provided by
    all the hotels. You can also carry a small bag on board.

When we are in the safari vehicles, we should use a small backpack. I told her I wasn't really into backpacks.
    She recommended a fannie pack. She said you can get them large enough to carry water, tissues, etc.

Let me know about your other questions. Bernice yostbernice@yahoo.com

• Options
    rofgam, we have conflicting information already about the luggage. I can't imagine needing more than the
    duffle for so short a time, especially if I am carrying a small bag with me on board.

Great feedback. Thanks!
  • Options
    A few other points:

You will probably be taking Matarone pills for malaria once a day. One possible side effect is diarrhea. We took it after dinner instead of in the morning, therefore if you have a problem you will be at the lodge not out on safari. (Fortunately no problems!).

Also you must watch what you eat and drink. We went to an excellent Travel Doctor before we left and she was very conservative about this and we followed her suggestions. A majority of our group did develop stomach problems which resulted in staying back one or two days. We didn't have a problem. I feel that it raised our odds of not getting sick.

Water: Nothing but bottled. No ice cubes, no fruits or vegetables that were washed in water and not cooked or peeled. All the lodges said that the water was good; still didn't use it. Also brush your teeth only with bottled water. Did not drink any juices that were from concentrate (remember water is added).Ask at the buffet they will tell you.

Food: As I said we eat no salads or raw fruit even though it looked delicious. Had to be peeled or cooked.
This discussion has been closed.