Options

A day early in Venice

Touchdown VCE 930AM on a Tuesday from East Coast USA. Looking for a good trip to Murano. The Hotel said they were not operating that add-on in 2023. Other suggestions are welcomed!

Comments

• Options

Check out Viator. A quick look shows a 5-hour guided tour to Murano and Burano. I'm sure that there are other options, too. You could probably go on your own.

• Options

Agree. Burano is a lovely town and is definitely worth a visit as part of a Murano tour. The brightly colored homes are photo ops. Also , if not included in the tour, the major art museums in Venice have scores of northern Italian renaissance art .

• Options

DouginJax - What tour are you on? I've been on two tours that included Venice and both itineraries included Murano and one included both Murano and Burano.

• Options

@MCD Thanks, yes looked at Viator, hard to discern which one. @Smiling Sam, taking a week in Venice, Florance, and Rome itinerary does not mention a trip to Murano. I was interested in one of the hands-on experiences so my wife could make her own souvenier

• Options

DouginJax,

Unless you have your heart set on Murano, an easy train ride (less than 1/2 hour) from Venice is the university town of Padua which is known for its frescoes, museums, markets and medicinal and research botanical gardens run by the university.

My experience there was long before COVID so I would suggest doing some research first if you think you might like to explore the town. No matter what you decide, have a wonderful trip!

• Options

Another interesting place a train ride away is Ravenna. We went there one time we went to Venice.

Mike

• Options

Ravenna has beautiful mosaics, but there is no direct train service from Venice. You would have to change trains; I believe more than once. Unless you get a very early start and use a car service for transportation, the round trip takes over four (4) hours. By train it is over eight (8) hours roundtrip. Of course, this is all a moot point if you plan to spend the night in Ravenna.

• Options
    edited December 2022

@kfnknfzk - That's not correct. We were staying in Mestre and were able to get a train to Ravanna with a change in Ferrara. I blog our trips and in the blog, I say that it took about an hour to get from Mestre to Ravanna. We took the train in the late morning, toured Ravanna and then took the train back to Mestre. Ravanna really isn't that far from Mestre - it looks like 73 miles. You can see this part of our blog at https://www.mikeandjudytravel.com/2015Italy-02.htm

Go down to the entry for 9/21/2015 which is where I describe our trip to Ravenna.

That was a few years ago but I doubt if the trip went from an hour to four hours.

Mike

• Options

You should be able to get to Murano by vaporetto (public water bus). Check Rick Steves guide for more information.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Which trip are you on? We did Bellissima Northern Italy in September and Venice was our last stop. We went to Burano as part of the trip and our TD discouraged us from going on a separate trip to Murano as they took us to the Murano store in Venice and we had a private glassblowing demonstration there. You might also want to check w Tauck rather than the hotel to confirm whether or not Murano is included. Viator and Rick Steves are good resources.

• Options
    edited December 2022

MikeHenderson,

Perhaps the rail systems and time tables have changed since we did the train(s). It did, indeed, take us two train changes totaling ~ four (4) hours one-way. There is no right or wrong. We all have different travel experiences.

edited to correct typographical error

• Options

would visit Burano over Murano

• Options

Our last time in Venice we went to Verona via train for the day. We connected with Valeria at Verona Tours who met us at the train and took us all over. It was a great day. Murano is a big shopping day, if that is what you want. If you have some early time, before 9 am, go over to San Giorgio church and its tower for fantastic views across the canal, toward St Mark's. Its a vaporetto ride of about 5 minutes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file