Options

Traveling Solo to India

I have just returned from Taucks's Spotlight on India tour and wish to let any solo female travelers considering Tauck's tours of India that it indeed a wonderful and TOTALLY safe trip. This tour was among the most fascinating and luxurious trips I have taken with Tauck. The whole experience was remarkable. I would be glad to answer any questions from forum members about this experience.

Comments

• Options

That’s the nice thing about traveling with Tauck … you are not “solo”. I knew a woman years ago who actually traveled to India by herself. She felt fortunate when she completed the return journey. Tauck will keep us out of trouble in India and Africa, but they are not ‘spring break’ locations. That is how I discovered Tauck. I had flown to many places in Africa (and India) for work, and I had no delusions about how ‘safe’ it is. So I went looking for a company doing tours of Africa that were ‘expert’ in their operations. And, I found Tauck. They keep us away from the dangerous places.

• Options

You are SO right, Sealord. Tauck takes care of everything! I was hesitant about my trip to India. A lot of "what ifs", but even if the "what ifs" had happened, I would be taken care of in a very professional an safe manner. I just love the adventure of new places and different cultures and Tauck does it SO well!

• Options

Actually, as far as I know, the only place that Tauck has lost a guest to terrorism was in that Mumbai bombing bombing and the following shootings inside.He did not stay in his room as ordered and was shot.

• Options

Yes, the Track guest's name is on the wall of honor at the Taj (where Tauck was staying at the time). Our tour director did cover that part of Mumbai history recounting the incredible heroism of the staff members at the Taj hotel. The animosity between India and Pakistan is still present.

• Options

I am glad you had a great travel experience as a single woman although part of Tauck.Even though I am from India originally,having lived in US most of my adult life,I will be very worried about venturing anywhere by myself.So many news stories about crimes against women and how local police handle them are very scary and real unfortunately.As long as you are in the group and go as a group you are safe.We noticed this kind of situation in Ecuador ;In Guayaquil we were warned not to go beyond a certain point;yet some disregarded this warning.That is the kind of thing one should not do particularly if you don’t know the language.I guess there are places in US no one ma; or woman can venture out alone!

• Options

Hi, Denise! Thank you for sharing your feedback from your tour! It sounded awesome! Were there any issues with COVID during the trip at all that impacted anything?

• Options

There were absolutely no issues with COVID. No one on tour masked and we rarely saw anyone with masks while on the two week tour. Never heard anyone coughing and no issues at all.

• Options

That’s great to hear! Did you go on a small group tour or the “classic” tour size? Just out of curiosity, how many were on your tour?

• Options

It was a small group tour since there were no classics this Jan-Feb. This tour showed SOLD out for aver four months, but our tour ended up with only 9 people. There were four couples and myself. It was a wonderful group of people.

• Options

Thanks, Denise! That sounds wonderful! How were the roads? Were the domestic flights on regular jets? And are you doing a lot of sitting via bus and plane travel or is there a lot of walking as well? Thanks in advance! 😊

• Options

The roads were all fine- not bumpy at all. There was a LOT of traffic in Delhi, but other than sitting in traffic, no problem. All flights were on regular jets, There was not a lot of time on the bus. There was a 3 hour from Delhi to Agra and a 3-4 from Agra to Jaipur. Very little walking, but some places had a lot of stairs. Climbing down to the Ganges in Varanasi and getting to some temples required mobility. It was an active - sightseeing wise - but not very physically demanding. Prior to going, I was concerned with those stairs in Varanasi and so I brought a walking stick. I never took it out of my suitcase. Tauck knows how to take care of everyone!! There were not railing easily available at some of the temples, but they were not steep and there was always someone to lend a hand if required.

• Options

Denise, do you have any suggestions for clothing, shoes, etc., to bring on the tour? Thanks.

• Options

As far as clothing goes, since I went in Feb/Mar, the weather was warm but not really hot. I rarely put on my sweater or jacket. There were no comments about sleeves or no sleeves for any of the sites we visited. We only had to remove our shoes to enter a temple twice. I had read on this forum to make sure that the shoes you brought were washable and/or throw away. I did not encounter any problem with my shoes being soiled. Our tour director on several occasions suggested we wear closed toed shoes. Several members did not and found no issues. Our tour director did say to "dress up" for one or two dinners, but he simply meant casual dressy. Everyone seemed to wear to dinner what they had been wearing whether it was a nice top or a simple skirt or dress. Nothing was super fancy and only one gentleman wore a jacket to dinner once. It was a super luxurious trip with memories that will last.

• Options

Thanks so much for your response! It is very helpful. Any other advice you have is much appreciated.

• Options

You are so welcome. This forum really helps when planning trips.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file