Options

Ultimate Alps & Dolomites - May 18, 2023

Hi. My husband and I are scheduled for the May 18th Ultimate Alps & Dolomites. It appears the temperatures will be in the mid 60’s during our trip. I have travel books, etc. for our trip. I am looking for any suggestions or tips from those of you who have taken this trip. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options

We did this tour in Sept/Oct when they were adding the Oberammergau Passion Play. It is a fantastic tour. The scenery is spectacular.
    It is pretty full, I don't recall a lot of 'down time,' so I don't really have any 'suggestions.'

If you've never been to Salzburg, on your free time, taking the Funicular up to the Fortress to see the view is worthwhile. And the 6-Euros fee to enter the Cathedral at NOON for the FREE organ concert is also very good.

The day you go to Eagles Nest and the Salt Mine is fantastic. We all really enjoyed that day.

We saw lots of snow thru the Dolomites. Lots of MotorCoach time, but the views are spectacular.

An extra day in Lucern is worth it if you extended.

The day you go to the Burgenstock is gorgeous - we saw lots of snow there too - def ride the chair lift at the very top and walk thru the ice cave. Lunch is good there on your own.

If you have any specific questions, I'm happy to answer them, but we don't recall much down time to do things on your own.

• Options
    cvccvc
    edited March 2023

We did the Alps and Dolomites in 2015 and loved Salzburg. I agree with Terrilyn's suggestion of taking the funicular to the Hohensalzburg Castle/Fortress. The views were beautiful. We also wandered around the Fortress. One free evening, we attended a Mozart Dinner Concert which we booked before we left home. I think cancellation policies are fairly liberal should your schedule change. And there is one shop I would recommend - Christmas in Salzburg. It has hundreds of decorated eggs - Christmas, Easter and even Halloween. We had a few eggs shipped home so we didn't need to worry about breaking them on tour. Enjoy your trip - it was one of our favorites!

• Options

Thank you for your recommendations. I really appreciate it.

• Options

• Options

We had a great time on the Alps and Dolomites trip - definitely one of our favorites. We took the funicular in Salzburg; and the funicular in Davos. Had wonderful weather with the exception of the day traveling over Grossglockner pass. Eagles Nest and the Salt Mine were fantastic. I purchased a Christmas egg ornament at Christmas in Salzburg; and a few additional Christmas ornaments at other cities and villages. We took the train from Basel to the Zurich airport, which was very convenient.