Options

Grand New England Tour

We are departing for the Grand New England tour on Oct. 3. Does anyone have a suggestion for dinner on our own that night? We would like someplace casual which is near the Fairmont Copley Plaza.

Comments

• Options

I live just outside of Boston. Lots of great restaurants and I’m sure the concierge can recommend a few spots. The first that comes to mind is of course, Legal Seafood. But also a few others: City Table, Bar 10 and Yard House. Check out their websites and see what you think. Have a wonderful trip!

• Options

This tour got terrible reviews in the past couple of years. I hope it is improved

• Options

I agree with cathyandsteve. I had scrumptious grilled octopus (almost as good as what I have in Portugal). My husband enjoyed the haddock. The artichoke hearts were equally delicious. The hotel is lovely...we stayed there independently last year.

Grand New England was our first U. S. Tauck tour. We enjoyed it so much that we took the tour again years after the first time. We stayed at The Langley (Tauck's hotel choice at the time.)

It was a great trip. Enjoy.

• Options

Can't go wrong with clam chowder I was tempted to have the shrimp and grits but did not.

We love the Omni. I don't know if they still offer the tour of the hotel. It was quite interesting. One of my most memorable meals on tour was at the Mirror Lake Inn. It was a multi-course lobster meal paid for by Tauck. The Inn itself is quaint--nothing fancy--but the meal was superb.

• Options

Try the Union Oyster House. Oldest restaurant in Boston, excellent seafood and lots of history

Massachusets resident

• Options

Stephanie’s on Newbury Street is a great restaurant . Very close great food.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Contessa at the Newbury rooftop is excellent. The bar, the old Ritz bar on the first floor, is an old Bostonian haunt -- where Spenser hung out --- try to get a seat at the window opposite the the Boston Public Garden. We also like Ramsey's Kitchen on Boylston Street at the Meridian. You should book ahead. Great food at both locations. Neither are cheap but worth it.

• Options

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

• Options

Giacomo’s on Hanover Street is the best Italian ever. Very small, no reservations, go early for no line. Cash only. Then walk across the street for a cannoli.

• Options

mfrancis - The house special-all the seafood over linguini-sounds delicious! Thanks for the suggestion.

• Options
    edited September 2023

Kfnknfzk - everything there is delicious. Be prepared to wait in line if you don’t go very early. But worth the wait and a possible cab or Uber ride. And people in line will be running to an ATM when they see that’s it’s cash only. Both Mike’s and Modern Pastry across the street have great cannolis and cappuccinos.

Wish we still lived in New England!

• Options

mfrancis - We will definitely eat there the next time we are back east. We usually take the train from NY to Boston and spend a few days there.

By the way, in anticipation of the Yuletide cruise, I have read your review numerous times. So very helpful! Thank you.

• Options

Lovestoravel, would you provide your opinion on the tour since you have gone most recently of al these posts. We are going in 2024 and would appreciate recommendations for restaurants or sites to see on our early arrival day. TIA