Options

Ponant vs Windstar

Thinking of a Greek island cruise next year. Had a great time with Ponant/Tauck on Jacques Cartier touring Adriatic Coast this year (Of course, some drawbacks). Any comparison?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023

No comparison. One is a new explorer power boat, and the other is a large sailboat … motor sailing yacht. Both the Wind Star and the Wind Spirit are having a major overhaul this year, but the yachts are quite old. We like them as do many others, but they are not for everyone.. If you like new and shinny you probably would prefer Ponant. If you like nautical then the Wind Star and Wind Spirit are great. The Wind Surf is actually our favorite. It is larger than the Wind Star and Wind Spirit.

• Options

henrypoon_66 - I would be interested in knowing what the drawbacks were to the Ponant/Tauck tour of the Adriatic Coast. We are booked to do the Venice/Dalmatian coast tour in June 2024. I keep reading unfavorable reviews about the L'Austral, the Ponant boat that will be used for this trip next year. It needs to be refurbished, the food is very average and if you are not French you don't get treated very well.....I believe the Jacques Cartier is much newer than the L'Austral so maybe you did not experience the things I am hearing._

• Options
    edited October 2023

We have done four cruises on Ponant with Tauck. We thought the food, service and acomodations were fine. I personally think Windstar has better food, but our frequent traveling companions think the opposite. Perhaps its the expectations. People think a French cruise ship should serve spectacular food. I think it is good, but not spectacular. They certainly make good crepes and croissants. Most cruise ships get refurbished every six or seven years. If you cruise near the end of that cycle, the ship probably needs a little polish. We were on the Wind Star at the end of the cycle and it is due. It gets a major refurb in November. I’m sure the French have a leg up in certain areas. Generally speaking, we at Tauck get a better wine selection because Tauck buys a better drink package than what the Ponant passenger gets unless they upgrade. If recent refurbishment is important, you can go on cruisemapper.com and get all those details about almost any cruise ship.

• Options

I went this summer with Jacques Cartier and had a great time.

Pros: The ship is fabulous with stunningly beautiful big rooms. The balcony was big enough for two people comfortably, giving us many days of endless opportunities to watch the sunrise and sunset (I don't think I can stand a porthole).The shower is easily handled with ample hot and cold water( multiple issues from other guests with the water system at the Marriott in Venice). The common area is well carpeted and well appointed.The staff is quiet and efficient. The air conditioning and heating system work well.The night time sailing is very smooth, not giving out any sense of rocking( very light sleeper, easily seasick, no issue with Ponant). I like the food and I find it to be excellent( not as good as the Essence of Japan but way better than A week in Portugal). I am not looking forward to a booze cruise so I find the wine selection to be more than adequate although I have heard the selection is not as good as Uniworld. I find all the cocktail and the general red/white selection more than satisfactory.I enjoy my evening sitting outside having my meals and watching the sunset without dressing up and have any music blasting. I also like the well stocked refrigerator inside the room on Jacques Cartier. Definitely do not find the food choice to be average given its similarities to New American/world fusion/California light.

Cons: We share Jacques Cartier with guests from Backroads. Some of them were plain obnoxious, vicious and mostly drunk. Lots of attitude. Plainly mean and seat saving is their nightly ritual at dinner( A very small number of tauck guests behave that way. Very few). A few Tauck guests complained that the TD did not stand at the public toilet to hand them tokens so they could go to this one particular toilet( many free next door). Then, another incident, a couple of Tauck guests grabbed all the umbrellas during a sudden rainstorm, leaving many drenched. The French and the British kept to themselves and did not travel in a pack so they were not difficult to deal with. Some of the French crew did not take any nonsense so unreasonable demands were not passed on to the French crew.

A lot of the more strenuous activities were cancelled. All sea kayaking were cancelled. No beach activities. The cycling and hiking excursions were not well attended due to the Tauck demographics.The Ponant guests have a lot of more choices choosing more active excursions. The Ponant guests have the opportunities for Lokrum Island/ Blue cave, Bol and a 4 by 4 countryside ride.

The Welcome dinner and Farewell dinner were late to start, did not end until 10. The Welcome dinner was scheduled on a day with two major excursions and it did not start until 8. A lot of Tauck guests made a big deal attending the Welcome dinner and skipped the afternoon excursion. I simply ate the Outdoor Grill and had a great time.The Farewell dinner also started late after a lot of festivities. I again skipped it half way and had a great dinner at the Outdoor Grill.

I also heard that the L'Austral has a lot of issues but I will be taking the L'Austral for a Greek Island cruise next year in June with Ponant/Abercrombie & Kent.So far, I am happy with my decision I made with my 2024 Greek cruise choice.

• Options

You’ve put me off!